Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Millerman's Cube25 Project

millerman

I'm not sure on just any blenny, but ones from the genus Salarias and Atrosalarias are commonly referred to as "algae blennies."

Lawnmower and Starry are pretty easily found. Here's a good spot about algae blennies.

Between each outbreak (starting the tank, then upgrading) my starry has removed any and all gha in 3 weeks or less.

Amazing. I'll definitely keep this in mind.

One potential problem is feeding the bottom grazers. How do you feed your blenny after all the algae is gone?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would drop a Hikari Algae Wafer every now and then and he would munch on it, then I tried seaweed and he never touched it. But when the gha was all gone it didn't take him long to realize he likes meaty foods too :lol: what he does is turns to film algae on the glass, eats a little sand, scrapes the rocks and then eats more than his share of Prime Reef and Brine Shrimp Plus. He's a fatass.

From what I've read I don't think that mine is an odd occurrence. he's probably been the easiest fish I've kept besides a damsel.

I would drop a Hikari Algae Wafer every now and then and he would munch on it, then I tried seaweed and he never touched it. But when the gha was all gone it didn't take him long to realize he likes meaty foods too :lol: what he does is turns to film algae on the glass, eats a little sand, scrapes the rocks and then eats more than his share of Prime Reef and Brine Shrimp Plus. He's a fatass.

From what I've read I don't think that mine is an odd occurrence. he's probably been the easiest fish I've kept besides a damsel.

LOL. i will keep this in mind. I'm going bare bottom. Would that be a problem for blennies?

You would need to research how important sand is to their diet because I know mine eats a lot of it. Another user here remarked about theirs doing it too. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal but they might be pulling some sort of trace minerals out of it along with the algae to keep them in good health.

Maybe I'm reading into what amounts to a retarded blenny too much, but I wouldn't want to mislead you thinking it would be 100% okay and then you end up with a dead blenny a few months down the road and have no idea how it died.

You would need to research how important sand is to their diet because I know mine eats a lot of it. Another user here remarked about theirs doing it too. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal but they might be pulling some sort of trace minerals out of it along with the algae to keep them in good health.

Maybe I'm reading into what amounts to a retarded blenny too much, but I wouldn't want to mislead you thinking it would be 100% okay and then you end up with a dead blenny a few months down the road and have no idea how it died.

Thanks for the info!

I will do research on bennies before I add one to the tank.

And the cycling begins.....

2816a8c2.jpg

2ac38b2c.jpg

4bd8a6dd.jpg

I'm using fish food to kick start the cycle. Do you guys think i should use a piece of raw shrimp to speed up the process?

I really thought the phos reactor tubing, was in place of the AC intake tube.

And, that the return was feeding the filter....

I was like :eek:"Genius!"

---------------------------

Then, I realized I was just seeing things... <_<

Looking good B)

Thanks!

The only thing that's bugging me is the grey AC70 intake. I'm thinking of spraying it black with Krylon Fusion. it sorta sticks out like a sore thumb.

I really thought the phos reactor tubing, was in place of the AC intake tube.

And, that the return was feeding the filter....

I was like :eek:"Genius!"

---------------------------

Then, I realized I was just seeing things... <_<

I hope it works!

Thinking of running carbon in the reactor, and filterfloss in the filter. Suggestions?

Updates:

• Added a surface skimmer.
  • Ordered a Hydor Slim Skim Nano, but it's back ordered for 2 weeks..... :angry:

612fe4a1.jpg

7615543b.jpg

f561aa4d.jpg

Still in the ammonia stage of cycling...

Hydor Slim Skim Nano

hydor-slim-skim-1.jpg

After reading a few reviews and some digging around the Internets (yes, InternetS), I ordered the Hydor Slim Skim Nano.

From what I've read and seen, the performance seems to be decent. I'll post my results here when my tank is ready for the skimmer.

Until then, it's another 4 weeks of cycling.... <_<

Updates:

• Tank seems to have cycled within a week. This could be due to the fact that the live rock was taken from my old tank (which was already cycled and running for 2 years).
  • Still waiting on my Hydor Slim Skim nano. It's been back ordered for nearly a month. Ridiculous.

5358eea8.jpg

Some goodies. (L-R) Kent Reef Carbon , New Life Spectrum Marine pellets (1mm), Phosban, PE Mysis shrimp, media bag.

Time to start stocking in a few weeks! Ammonia/Nitrites are down to zero. Gonna wait out another week for the Nitrates to level out. For now, it's more patience and water testing -_-

Picked up a few goodies today....

Opted out on the hydor slim skim due to shipping issues, so I got this instead...

62b19893.jpg

bb045170.jpg

Finally picked up a refractometer.

b1d5461d.jpg

Massive....

6a6abd0c.jpg

8e46ce91.jpg

Still fine tuning...

StockIng next week! Stay tuned.

Nearly bought a mp10 today :)

Maybe for Xmas.

I like the high tech on a small scale, i would def do a mp10, i love mine, and it takes up so much less room than the hydros

I've already made up my mind that i'm gonna pick up the MP10 :). If it's one thing i learned from my old tank, its to never skimp out on good equipment.

I recently stumbled on Bon's Lagoon. Definitely worth checking out if you folks haven't.. I was blown away the first time I saw the video. I'm guessing there's over $10,000 worth of equipment and coral in that tank. Click here and here , and lastly here for more info.

Click

for feeding video (fun to watch!)
I recently stumbled on Bon's Lagoon. Definitely worth checking out if you folks haven't. I'm guessing there's over $10,000 worth of equipment and coral in that tank. Click here for more.

Posted April 20.

Like they were working...

Yeaaaaah baby.

B)

Posted April 20.

Like they were working...

Yeaaaaah baby.

B)

It's ridiculous how some don't have budgets on their reef tanks :)

I was checking out his build thread, and yea, there's well over 10 grand of equipment and corals.

Updates:

Installed mp10

Installed Tunze 3155 osmalator ( auto top off)

Added 2 true perculas!!

3b87f129.jpg

e6659d85.jpg

ad587fdb.jpg

Temp acclimating....

cf0470d7.jpg

Currently Drip acclimating....

Happy holidays all!

Just a few pics to share.

483d2833.jpg

5239a092.jpg

560860bf-1.jpg

Thinking of adding a skunk, and maybe a few corals this weekend. My ultimate goal will be to have a tiny SPS garden. But i'll have to wait a few more months before thinking of adding SPS.

Also, the Tunze 3155 is awesome. Couldnt believe i went without an ATO all these years.

:happy:

Archived