Cultivated Reef

Lighting preferences with the 96w power quad

pos_user

hey guys.

I ordered teh quad and should be getting it in a few days. Do you have any preferences or opinions on how the lighting times should be. I believe it has to plugs and 2 switches for a dusk till dawn effect. If that is true...then should i have the actinic overnight for 12 hours, and have the 10k bulb on for 12 hours. Or should it be off for 12 hours, and all bulbs on for 12 hours. What do you guys do if you have this 96w quad and what do you suggest I do. thanks.

Cellenzweig

I would say Actinics for 12 hours and daylight for 8-10. Maybe Actinics on at 10am, daylight on at 11:30, daylight off at 8:30pm, actinic off at 10pm.

Only 1 cord coming out of my coralife aqualight 96w quad. I have it on 12hrs a day. It's 1 bulb so you can't choose what parts of it you want to be turned on. ;) I have the 50/50 bulb. Do a search on it. Some people say the white part of the llight turns yellow after several months and the water appears green. I haven't experienced this yet, but then again i've had it running less than a week. :P

if you already have coral in your tank...don't do what i did and just put the light on the tank and turn it on for your reg. photoperiod. make sure that you acclimate your coral to the light slowly...otherwise they might shrivel up and be mighty upset with you. =) goodluck!

Cellenzweig

I just bought the 24" aqualight with 2x55w. (I have 2x65w in there now. 1x10k & 1xactinic. The ballasts take 55-65w) It has two cords & two fans.

i have the retro kit by CSL it has 2 switches and cords for the 2x96w lamps, i believe most powerquad are half blue and half 10k (mine are at least) so you dont have much choice for keeping actinics on longer than the daylights, and they are only 17", its also a used bulb that ive used for bout a month and my water isnt green will watch for it though ;)

The CSL ( the company went out of buisness for those who don't know) Powerquad is a 96W lamp, one cord, one plug, 50/50, that means 1 half of the tubes are 03Actinic, and the other half are daylight(usually 9,000 - 10,000).

If you are upgrading your current lights, I would suggest shielding the livestock for a few days, so they can acclimate to the new intensity, and possilbly new color temp.

Archived