Cultivated Reef

Filtration help needed

Universe555

Universe555

I have decided, after my nano cube arrived broken, to go a more tradional route for my reef.

I am getting a 20 gallon tank and using a coralife lamp; 2x65w.

How do I filter the thing... I know I need a skimmer and some jets for circulation... will have live rock and sand so...

what else do I need for filtration?

Thanks all.

schaferfred

From all the info that I have gathered extra filtration is not needed because the live rock takes care of that. I personally am adding some extra filtration to my ten gallon via an aquaclear with the foam block and some chemipure. This will add a little extra filtration along with the added water movement. I am still new to this but have been reading a lot for the last couple of months.

choosing to go with the 20 gallon over the nanocube was a good idea. as far as filtration goes, you shouldn't even need a protein skimmer. if you keep up with your water changes, than it won't even be necessary. but it would be a good idea to get a hob filter. not only for water movement, but to run carbon when necessary. i have an aquaclear200 and i run just chemi-pure in it 24/7. the filter media and low grade carbons that come with the filters usually cause more harm than good. most people run their filters empty. but i believe chemi-pure is the best carbon out there, and it can be run continuosly without any ill effects.

Archived