Cultivated Reef

Do I need to feed anything?

MayoBoy

My tank is now 5 or 6 weeks old. 10 gallons, and it has about 19 lbs of live rock and 11 lbs of dead sand. Lighting is 40 watts compact fluorescent and a 15 watt strip light (all 50/50). There are 5 snails (2 turbo, 3 something else) and a blue leg hermit. Various hitchhikers and I just added 2 mushrooms yesterday.

Ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5.

Here's a picture (Warning, overall picture is big so you need broadband). I'm going to have a couple of clowns, GSPs, zoos, etc.

My question at this time is should I be dosing or feeding anything at this point in time? Also, how long before I can start adding frags and do I need to feed the ones I listed above?

TIA

Perpetual98

That live rock is cool looking. Nicely done. What kind of shrooms are those?

I'm not sure about feeding. When my tank was new, I'd crumble a few flakes of food and let it sink to the bottom so the hermits had something to munch on.

Cellenzweig

Looking good! Just feed enough make sure the hermit doesn't die. If you overfeed, you will likely end up with a cyano or hair algae problem.

You are probably ok the SLOWLY start adding frags - maybe some more shrooms, GSP or some zoanthids. My favourite softie is the GSP. I love how it moves in the water and it grows VERY quickly.

The key is to not cause a huge spike in bio-load. Wait a week or so between each addition (of frags or fish) and you should be ok.

Colin

Hey if you only have hermits, I would think about feeding hard shrimp pellets instead of brine or flakes. It might be better because that way the hermits will hear the dinner bell ringing and will immediately find the pellets. Flakes and frozen brine have a tendency to get into places and uneaten food can cause ammonia, phosphate spikes leading to algae growth. Just a thought...

Also, I noticed that where I drop shrimp pellets into my tank, I have an explosion of worms and isopods. Seem they like the stuff.

Cellenzweig
Hey if you only have hermits, I would think about feeding hard shrimp pellets instead of brine or flakes. It might be better because that way the hermits will hear the dinner bell ringing and will immediately find the pellets. Flakes and frozen brine have a tendency to get into places and uneaten food can cause ammonia, phosphate spikes leading to algae growth. Just a thought...

Good call Miller (Lite - why??? J/K)

Flakes and frozen food will be harder for them to get as it float around in the currents. Pellet will usually sink right away, making it easier to get.

Yep GSP = Green Star Polyps. Sorry, I sometimes forget most beginners don't know all these acronyms (hell... I don't know half of them). GSP is a very hardy soft coral that comes in many shades of green, from mint green to BRIGHT flourescent lime green. You can also get star polyps in pink or white - maybe other colours, not sure.

Archived