inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish Brood Stock

bootes123

I am in the process of cycling my tank now. I was wondering if you could tell me some places where you have bought brood stock before and about how much you paid.

Alpha Aquaculture
I am in the process of cycling my tank now. I was wondering if you could tell me some places where you have bought brood stock before and about how much you paid.

I have found that many of the largest online companies will charge a lot more than I prefer to pay for the clowns. With the private breeders you can get some exceptional clowns and there are many people in this Aquaculture forum that will offer you awesome clowns. Pickle, Hyper, Eileen, and last but def not least rrcg50 all have beautiful clowns and I cannot say enough good things about these people. I also sell clowns on my website AlphaCorals.com and have around 75 designer clowns on the site right now with 225 more designers here not on site yet. All my clowns are less than $300 for a pair. I have many around the $200 mark and would suggest that as a price median. The more you pay the more rare of a clown you will get. The cheaper ones are usually more common.

Good luck to you and your quest for broodstock. I hope I helped :)

I have found that many of the largest online companies will charge a lot more than I prefer to pay for the clowns. With the private breeders you can get some exceptional clowns and there are many people in this Aquaculture forum that will offer you awesome clowns. Pickle, Hyper, Eileen, and last but def not least rrcg50 all have beautiful clowns and I cannot say enough good things about these people. I also sell clowns on my website AlphaCorals.com and have around 75 designer clowns on the site right now with 225 more designers here not on site yet. All my clowns are less than $300 for a pair. I have many around the $200 mark and would suggest that as a price median. The more you pay the more rare of a clown you will get. The cheaper ones are usually more common.

Good luck to you and your quest for broodstock. I hope I helped :)

Thank You very much. I found a pair of true percs and a pair of fancy percs for under $300.00 combined.

Alpha Aquaculture
Thank You very much. I found a pair of true percs and a pair of fancy percs for under $300.00 combined.

Do tell where you decided to get them :) and please tell me more about these true percs and fancy percs. I'm always trying to learn and I also like to know where people are getting their clowns. What makes them true and fancy?

Do tell where you decided to get them :) and please tell me more about these true percs and fancy percs. I'm always trying to learn and I also like to know where people are getting their clowns. What makes them true and fancy?

Its all in the marketing!! I will do. I am holding off for my brood stock tank to cycle....

Alpha Aquaculture

If the true perc is essentially just a normal percula then I would say maybe $50 for a pair max retail price and thats for large 2"+ clowns. The fancy percula I'm guessing just has more black, add $25 so $75 for that pair again should be larger clowns. Should be waaaaay under the $300 mark including shipping fyi ;)

If the true perc is essentially just a normal percula then I would say maybe $50 for a pair max retail price and thats for large 2"+ clowns. The fancy percula I'm guessing just has more black, add $25 so $75 for that pair again should be larger clowns. Should be waaaaay under the $300 mark including shipping fyi ;)

They are already mating.

altolamprologus

$50 for a pair of percs? They're $30-40 each where I am.

Alpha Aquaculture
$50 for a pair of percs? They're $30-40 each where I am.

Right on, they go for max around $28 each from what I've seen. I don't sell them because nobody wants to pay shipping on a cheap average clown like that. Well, I do have normal striped perculas on my site for $10 but thats just in case. Don't expect they will sell nationally. I've been selling pairs of normal striped perculas here in person for $10/pair lol.

Still got some coloring up to do but you get the idea

http://alphacorals.com/store/index.php/clo...d-7-single.html

If your buying the wild true perc's please reconsider and try and buy captive bred and support our community :) You can get a clown thats just as nice with no possible disease and no direct impact on the ocean.

Alpha Aquaculture
They are already mating.

Then I would say its a good deal and you should scoop them up! If you don't then let me know and I might have to :)

Good luck, please keep us posted with how they do for you

Alpha Aquaculture

I like those true perculas but are you sure they have mated before? I think many times people advertise mated pairs but the pairs have actually never laid eggs. They used the term mated to mean paired, essentially one larger and one smaller, or one male and one female. The only way to know they are mated is if they have laid eggs together. I have purchased corals from RHS in the past and have always been happy. I think they are a solid company with quality livestock. I'm just offering general advice to you. I feel like they may be using the term to mean male and female judging by their prices and fish. I don't think those fish have laid eggs.

As far as those fancy percs, they are not percula. Those look like SA Fancy White clownfish, which are totally ocellaris. Check the description of them on my site.

http://alphacorals.com/store/index.php/clo...-13-single.html

FishEyeAquaculture

I agree with Alpha. The term "mated pair" is thrown around too loosley these days. Always ask for pictures of pair w/ eggs. Look for the term "spawning pair".

BTW, also I agree with Alpha. Those are not "fancy percs". From the website link, the aren't even called percs. They are an A. ocellaris var.

BTW, also I agree with Alpha. Those are not "fancy percs". From the website link, the aren't even called percs. They are an A. ocellaris var.

+1 to the above and Hyper is correct those are "Fancy Whites" and they are Ocellaris.

like all the rest have said. if your gonna breed clowns hold out for a pair of clowns that are already breeding. i have gotten most of my breeders from either local people wanting different clowns, or tear downs. of from other breeders. also try craigslist for people selling tanks. if they are selling the clowns i email them just for the clowns and ask how old they are and if they laid. i'll give a good offer for laying clowns and most will sell them separately.

i found a few breeding pairs on MOFIB mostly from breeders. there is a guy on there selling 14 pairs of true percs and black and white occy for around $300 to 500 a pair for proven breeders. there is video of each pair and eggs with them. cant get much better than that.

i hate to break it to you but you got a pair of clowns that just are getting along right now and will take most likely a year or so to breed.

phillyclownfish
I asked before I bought. They said they have laid before.

Thats a good price if they have laid before. A good thing to ask for is a pic with them and their nest.

As with anything else they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

I might pay more for a laying a pair of OC's that have some specific qualities I'm looking for and much less if I'm getting them from a hobbyist who just no longer wants them - it's all relative.

But with any pair of "mated" clowns it would be good to have some proof that the pair is producing viable eggs before you make the investment if you are specifically looking to breed them.

Archived