Innovative Marine Aquariums

how much light for live rock?

derekschwabe

derekschwabe

How much, and what kind of light is needed to keep healthy live rock. My LFS told me that some of the bacteria on the rock needs a different kind of light in order to grow. I'm not going to put any coral in for a while so i just want to make sure that my live rock thrives.

Originally posted by derekschwabe

My LFS told me that some of the bacteria on the rock needs a different kind of light in order to grow.

different to what exactly ?

I'd take their advice with a large pinch of a salt !

Hi

I suggest you use one white bulb @ 1000k and one actinic bulb @ 6500k, this will give you a nice spectrum of light and you should find that your live rock will do well. The power compact bulbs are good for nano tanks. You will have to work out what wattage you need by the size of the tank.

Do a search for lighting and you should be able to find some good info.

Mike

I would believe just half portion of LFS advice. They usually tell you what they believe is true without thinking about its make sence or not.

The reason they put light on it is to preserve lives on LR. Light somewhat helps preserve lives on LR.

But to keep bacteria alive? When you cure your LR at Rubbermaid tote without light, it will be cycled and cured. Cycling won't happend without bacteria. So... I don't think useful filteration bacteria are photosynthetic. Sure cyano is photosynthetic though.

Consensus here is you may need strong water flow and 4 to 5 hours of light for curing LR. , As MikeD said, 10000k or actinic bulb is better than ordinary 5000k bulb, since 5000k bulb tend to promote algae due to its yellowish spectrum.

Archived