Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brightwell NeoMarine Salt

onefang

Let me start by saying that I switched to this salt because I was having problems with Kent Reef Salt.

I'd get these parameters of a freshly mixed and aerated batch of kent at 1.025:

pH: 8.0

Alk: 7.5 dKH

Calcium: 650

Magnesium: 1600

From there the alk would drop in the tank down to around 5, where It was nearly impossible to bring back up, even double dosing buffer.

Frustrated I went on the lookout for another salt brand to try. I have always had good luck with Brightwell products, so I figured I'd give their NeoMarine Salt a go.

From a fresh mix at a salinity of 1.025 (measured with a calibrated refractometer)

I get these readings(using Elos test kits, double checked with Red Sea Pro Reef Foundation kit)

pH: 8.4

Alk: 10dkh

Calcium: 430

Magnesium: 1520

In my setup, the numbers have seemed to settle out almost exactly as mixed, which leads me to believe that this is a much more stable salt mix.

Two things though.

1- the bucket lid sucks big time. It's a pain in the butt to get off, and more of a pain to put back on(I had to stand on top of the bucket to get it to snap back on).

2- When mixing, the salt tends to heat the water up on it's own. It freaked me out at first, as I was mixing up a 5 gallon bucket of it outside, and it started steaming a bit as it mixed up(it's pretty cold here in OR), and indeed the water was quite warm. This could be a plus, as you could almost lose the heater while mixing :D

Overall, I think the trouble with the lid is worth it. My zoanthids and GSP are looking much happier, I am seeing an increased level of coraline growth. I could be crazy, but my water looks a lot clearer with this salt as well.

Overall I am very happy with it - and it's solved an issue that I've been battling for quite a while now.

It mixes up fast, leaves no film, and gives me consistent readings on every mix. If you are looking to try a new salt mix, give this one a shot.

I used that salt for a while, I liked it as well. I ended up switching to the tropicmarine bioactif salt because I wanted lower alk (7/8) because I dose vodka.

The tropicmarine also helps with skimmate production. But like I said, brightwell was a favorite of mine too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just started using this salt from Kents and Overall I think I am happy with it.

Do you all use 1 cup per gallon of water or found a better formula?

• 6 months later...
Just started using this salt from Kents and Overall I think I am happy with it.

Do you all use 1 cup per gallon of water or found a better formula?

I have the same salt, I believe its around 1/2 cup per gallon.

• 4 weeks later...
bdevillier19

i use this salt as well. i measure my salt out by weight using a digital food scale and i found the suggested 134g per gallon tends to be a bit high so i've found that 130-131g per gallon does the trick. but overall i really like it and my water parameters are good and tank mates seem happy

Archived