SaltCritters.com

sun coral woes

coral reef

i am a little unhappy right now last week i got some sun coral compleatly knowing the care involved with this species but this little bugger doesnt seem to want to eat and if i am correct a sun coral that doesnt want to eat cant be good ive tryed diffrent methods of feeding 2litrebottle inside tank,taking him out in a bowl and feeding night and day nothing seems to work can anyone give me some pointers on this please

please let me know how it goes. this is definitley something I want to keep in my tank once it is established. I hope he makes it.

what are you feeding them?

i highly recommend cycop-eeze, my sun corals love it!

i usually put on the feeding hat and squirt a small amount of juice in there to get them to come out. this usually takes about 20 minutes. you might want to try different foods to see what they respond to, i've heard bring shrimp juice works well too.

then i take the turkey baster and slowly add a mixture of mysis shrimp and cycop-eeze.

also, i've had mine for 2 weeks and they slowly come out more every day. I dont think they were fed much at the LFS. they open the most at night, begining right before the lights go out. however i am trying to train them to come out during the day by feeding them mid-afternoon instead of at night.

hope this helps,

-Dan

here is a picture of mine feeding!

They can be very reluctant to come out and it may take several weeks for the polyps to expand/open. I would NOT keep removing it from the tank and feeding it in a separate bowl (just my opinion). I feed mine in the tank - usually just give them chopped up P.E. Mysis shrimp via a 3mm syringe that I use for target feeding. I had a colony that looked dead, but eventually came out in full "bloom." Now the polyps will sometimes open when I feed the tank during the day.

DanUMD your colony looks like crap but it's red! very cool. not common like the orange ones everyone including myself has. i hope you bring them back to health. mine open whenever i put any food in the tank. i can even dose phyto and they will open for several hours in the middle of the day! my orange colony is very healthy, happy, and i think it even spawned. on the other hand i recently got a black branching Tubastrea that hasn't opened yet. it looks like it keeps getting closer and closer but weeks without food can't be good. it looks healthy and i can remember the hell my orange went through before it reached its current very healthy status. i feed pretty much daily with a mixed seafood i made myself. try turning off all the current in the tank.

Archived