inTank Media Baskets

Anyone know how to get caulerpa?

cirionrc

All stores never have any caulerpa in stock. Need something for my refugium. Will it grow on its own? Is there any other algae that works good in a refugium? Another thing, I get little minney for my lion at petco. Is this ok? I try to get brine shrimp but none of the stores ever have it. What should I feed the lion.

Uh....Your location says San Diego? is that right?

I don't think calupera is legal in California, however I have heard that some stores carry it incognito. I don't know which ones though.

GL,

Toy

PS. Didn't see the rest of your question I assume Minney is minnows? if that is the case then no this isn't good for your lion fish freshwater fish should not be fed to saltwater fish. on another note Brine shrimp is not a good Idea as well, they dont have much in the nutrition factor and they arent big enough to feed effectively. try silversides every petstore I have ever been to has them much better really.

Yeah its illegall here in Cali cirionrc. Both of my lfs's carry it though, one if them has a 18" cube tank that is FULL if it. Its all over the rocks. I thought it was a FW planted tank when I first saw it.

can't find any caulerpa, just go to the beach and u should find some there...j/k yeah, cali has a caulerpa problem and i heard its spreading up the coast towards monterey. but anyhow, my friend told me that the problem started in san diego by someone flushing it down the toilet. maybe that's why u can't find any. well, if u do come across it, just burn the excess parts you trim cuz that stuff grows fast.

just some random facts.:blush:

i live in california (central valley) and the only store around here that sold caulerpa was in a town about 20 minutes away. i was worried i wouldnt be able to find any too. are all of the varieties of caulerpa illegal in california? one of my local fish stores had a nice color flyer showing feather caulerpa and saying it was illegal. not sure about the others though.

I had caulerpa once. Pennicillen got rid of it and I stopped seeing the girl that gave it to me.

check out inlandaquatics.com for caulerpa and other algae.

CALIFORNIA CODES  

FISH AND GAME CODE  

SECTION 2300  

2300. (a) No person shall sell, possess, import, transport, transfer, release alive in the state, or give away without  consideration the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species: taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana, ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.

I'm not sure how everyone got the idea that the entire Genus Caulerpa was banned. Certain species, yes.

Ty

just ask your local reefers and most likely they will be happy to give you some or charge you alittle money for some..don't you ever think that people charging you money for Clurpa is bad..i mean..peole need to spend money to grow that cleurpa, the salt, the electricity...etc... so its always good to pay for it just think of it as donation..i think a reasonable price for a little sandwich bag (half full) is around $5-$15...i have some and i am in OC..if you want..drive up..i haev 4 different varieties.. feather, grape, red macro, and razer..and they are growing like mad!! haahaha..let me know

BTY, its less important to have cleurpa in your refugium...its the live sand that is imporatnt..be sure to have at least 2 1/2" of it...and the best way is to collect a cup at a time from different reefer's tank/refugium after that...that will add more mixtures and worms and all the goodies...so far..my 10 gallon refugium has been seeded by almost 10 different tanks and its almost 4" deep...most of the time..i will give the guy $5 for a good cup of Live Sand...

Originally posted by aidensnd

I too am in Cali. Sacramento to be precise. If anyone is willing to send me some, I'm more than willing to pay.

Thanks

Dan

Have you checked Exotic Aquarium? They have it sometimes. Thats were I bought mine.

about the lion.....iwould have def. read up more on them before u got one....go over to reefcentral.com and tank to FMartini [or something like that] on their agressive board...hen know everything about lions......but i will tell u whqat i know......also what kind of lion is it?.... it is ok for the first few weeks but in that time u shout start trying to ween it off of the fresh water feeders as they are to fatty for the lions and dont give the lion the proper nutrition......prolonged feedings of feeders will not only give it intestinal problems but also shorten the life of the lion ........

Jim27...It's funny...If you bought from Exotic, you may have bought mine...I sell to them when I have extra. Come to the MARS meetings for real deals. Last meeting we did a frag session. I got frags of Sarcophyton, Pocillopora, and green-tipped Acropora all for 5$ each. What a deal!

the bill to ban caulerpa in california never passed this year.

so no, it is not illegal..you just have to find the right store's that carries them...6 of 10 stores around my area carries them, including the one that's suppose to be banned "caulerpa taxifolia"

the case and bill number is #1334 .

FISH AND GAME CODE SECTION 2116-2126

FISH AND GAME CODE SECTION 6440-6460

with all the california cities near coastal harbors to vote...only a few said yes to ban, that includes san diego, orange county , ventura county, and other south california cities...

and if you guys are talking about the Federal Noxious Weed Act of 1999-2001. signed by governor gray davis..it ended sept. last year..but it might pass again sept. this year...so buy your caulerpa's now... heheh

Originally posted by Stryf3

the bill to ban caulerpa in california never passed this year.

so no, it is not illegal..you just have to find the right store's that carries them...6 of 10 stores around my area carries them, including the one that's suppose to be banned "caulerpa taxifolia"

the case and bill number is #1334 .  

FISH AND GAME CODE SECTION 2116-2126

FISH AND GAME CODE SECTION 6440-6460  

The bill was chaptered on 9/25/01 #338. A bill is "chaptered" by the Secretary of State after it has passed through both houses of the Legislature and has been signed by the Governor or becomes law without the Governor's signature.

I'm so tired of this, tomorrow I'm going to the dept of fish and game and talk to them!

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Go get um Tiger !

Are you talking to me?

All the guys at CDFG are always very nice to me. They answer all my questions. They send me cool books and posters. I think they are lonely and need someone to bug them. Our tax dollar at work.

aidensnd, want to wait a few weeks for mine?

i have the caulerpa taxifolia code name'd "killer caulerpa" in california..it grows almost an inch a day...and very hard to find in california...an asian store a few miles from me has some, but the ass wont sell it to me... hehe...unless of course you do what reefitis said,they are right off the beach of san diego..

when it grows, just name your price, and pay for S&H...

well nevermind..you have to come here, because im not going to mail it..

the bill to completely ban it never passed, so if you have some..you wont get in trouble..

but when you sell or transport it...thats more than $1500 fine, and punishable to 1 year in prison..according to the fish and game people..

if not, just buy other types of caulerpa...

:)

Archived