Cultivated Reef

lighting question

nanocurious

nanocurious

I was wondering, I f I took a 36w jalli hood that's about 23" and added a no flourescent bulb, would this be enough to keep some low light corals:zoos,mushrooms,polyps. all responses appreciated

Reefer_Buddha

You dont wana use NO fluorescents they'll just help nuisance algae grow in your tank. Look into a 10k or 50/50 with actinic.

nanocurious

Thanks refer buddha, I was thinking of using 36w of 50/50 and using the 15w as an actinic to supplement, or do you think it would be better to try and add a another pc in the hood

Reefer_Buddha

if you already have a separate actinic bulb then adding a 50/50 doesnt make a lot of sense because then you have 2 actinics to 1 10k. Id go with a full 10k 36w and then just add in the actinic.

nanocurious

Thanks do you think it would be better to go with a 10k 36w pc and add two 13wblue actinic pc instead, I am trying to simulate a deep water look

nanocurious

In fact, this is the setup I am thinking of going with:

10g aga

jalli 23" light fixture w/36w 10k and 26w blue actinic

prism hob skimmer

maxijet 606 ph

10lbs ls

15lbs lr

5 blue legs

5 red leg hermits

2 cerith snails

2 nassarius snails

1 cleaner shrimp

1 false perc clown

mushrooms

zoos

gsps

what do you think?

Reefer_Buddha

i think youre in the right area. 70-100w on a 10g is good and you can keep a variety of corals under those lights.

nanocurious

But do I really need all of that light If I only want shrooms and zoos, or can I get away with using a 36w 50/50

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

You dont wana use NO fluorescents they'll just help nuisance algae grow in your tank. Look into a 10k or 50/50 with actinic.

That doesnt make sense, youre comparing output type with color temp ratings. You CAN buy NO bulbs in 10k, 50/50, and Actinic 03, though the wattage isnt too spectacular (15 watts for an 18 inch bulb). It's probably enough for zoos and most shrooms, however.

a simple 32 w retro will work dandy for zoos and shrooms over a tank shallower thatn 12 inches....

and yes, output is not associated with color temp....

Output is related to the wattage....

Color temp is related to the wavelengths of light emitted....

Archived