Coral Vue Hydros

i really need help

drewmd.

My boyfriend just moved out abruptly and will be gone for a few months...he had a small nanoreef just starting out and im trying myhardest to take care of it. I know about the nitrate and nitrites..and blah blah..but like 2 days after he left the wavemaker..started acting very funny like spitting out bubbles bad it never did that when he was here...and also a clownfish died but none of the other things did...what do i do..the salinity is fine i already checked it... im not very smart about this stuff i just want to keep it running long enough for him to come home..ANY help will be appreciated.. THANK YOU

Hi drewmd. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Can you give us some information about your nanoreef such as size, inhabitants, types of corals, current parameters (temp., ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, etc.). If he was serious about the reefing, he should have all of these kits available somewhere. At the very least, I would change the water with newly prepared saltwater. The clownfish dying is not a great sign. Routine water changes should help keep the tank running until he returns. Also, make sure that you keep the keep the temperature and salinity in the tank water consistent. Top off the tank with distilled or RO water and NOT saltwater. The water disappears but the salt doesnt. Have you ever prepared the salt water for the reef tank before? Also, I would recommend turning off the wavemaker and taking it out of the tank. The tank will live a few months without the wavemaker. Good luck with everything. Continute to post responses and questions as they arise.

Only change less than 25% of the water at a time with freshly prepared seawater that has been mixed and aerated prior to the water change. I would recommend preparing the water at least 12 hours prior and to stick a power head or oxygen bubbler into the water for oxygenation. Also, be very careful with the container that you choose to prepare the water in . May be worth finding his container or buying a new unused container.

I have never changed it myself..but i did watch him do it..and check the nitrates and everything. the wavemaker is turned off but now the bubble tip anemone wont come out..i know its time to feed it but i dont know what to do. BTW the tank is 12 gallon and only has live rock sponges featherdusters (babies) 1 bubble tip anemone, a pink spotted Goby, a yellow tail damsel horshoe crab, red crab...and a couple more crabs and snails. My main problem now is the anemone. i know he always turned the light on and off at a certain time during the day..and i cant always be around to do it..so i thought maybe that had something to do with the anemones "shyness" well...thanks again any and all help is VERY appreciated.

as far as lights go, just buy a cheap timer at walmart. set it to the time that you want it to turn on and off, that way you won't have to worry about being there to mess with the lights. your inhabitants will become accustomed to the daily lighting schedule. i don't know what else to tell you, except that i'm sorry about your current situation and i hope that everything works out for you. water changes aren't all that hard, but they have to be done right. read this article and it will give you a little insight as to how to do them.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=7

good luck.... j.

Here is a thought. I know once I say it, people may jump all over this thread to dispute it. But I have recently tried the real Catalina Ocean water which you can purchase at Petco to be used in your water changes. I know, I know. Petco is usually demon spawn. But all you would have to do is make sure the salinity is correct using his hydrometer or refractometer, check the pH, and make sure that the temperature is the same as it is in the tank. The salinity should be around 1.024-1.025 and the temperature between 78-81 degrees F. If the salinity is higher than the recommended, just add bottled reverse osmosis water from the local food store (not spring water) to the bucket to get the salinity within parameters. Also, I would recommend bubbling air into the water for at least 15-30 min prior to the water change to aerate the water which has been sitting for an indeterminant amount of time. The tank water parameters just out of the box measured at the following:

pH = 8.2

ammonia = 0

nitrite = 0

nitrate = 0

alkalinity = 7.0 ( a bit lower than desired. Can be increased to 10-

12 dKh with buffer)

calcium = 350 ( lower than desired. Can be increased to 400-450

with Kent calcium or substitute)

didnt measure phosphate, magnesium, iron, etc.

I found that the invertebrates in the tank seem to open up to a greater extent and look healthier. I believe this may be due to a replenishment of several elements in the seawater that are approximated in the seasalt. There is always a risk that you will get bad salt, but if you are careful to test the water according to the instructions in the test-kit, then things should be ok. Continue posting your progress. BTW, bubble-tip anemone's can be a pain in the rear to keep alive especially if you are new to reefing. Many wouldnt recommend this for a beginner and for a nano. Keep an eye on him. If he starts to look bad, I would recommend pulling him out. A dying or dead anemone can crash the tank. A $50 anemone is not worth crashing a stable tank and losing all of the inhabitants. Good luck!

Oh yeah, BTW, the catalina water runs about $10 for 5 gallons. Although it is a bit pricy, if you look at all of the possibile things that can go wrong in making your own water, especially for a beginner reefer, than it is well worth the price. Also, since you will only be changing about a gallon or two a week, this isnt too bad for peace of mind.

Archived