inTank Media Baskets

My new nano, livestock question+first water change question!

Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey

My tank has been up for 11 days, and my ammonia is at zero and my nitrites are down to .2ppm. Temp is stable at 79, PH at 8.2 a few hours into my photo period, and my SG is steady at 1.023.

I was wondering when I could put in my cleanup crew and when I should perform my first water change?

wait some more till the trites go down and the trates go up some to show a cycle has been completed. Then you can add a clean-up crew then do a water change.

Funkymonkey
Originally posted by MGXsport

wait some more till the trites go down and the trates go up some to show a cycle has been completed. Then you can add a clean-up crew then do a water change.

Okay, so cleanup crew BEFORE first water change, gotcha. How low should my nitrites be before I think of adding my snails? I'm hoping to have something to look at FINALLY by the end of the weekend :

Brown is a stage mine dissappeared in about a week or less.

You want to add them at the end of the cycle plus a few days so it is stable and when there are some green algaes growing

Funkymonkey
Originally posted by MGXsport

Brown is a stage mine dissappeared in about a week or less.  

You want to add them at the end of the cycle plus a few days so it is stable and when there are some green algaes growing

I have some red and greens growing, but surely not enough to keep a snail population fed. I'll wait for the brown to die off then I guess.

Thanks!

yeah I was worried about the brown bloom also. It covered the tank and I thought I did something terribly wrong. It was later replaced by a load of hair algae. Now my clean up crew is finally winning the battle of algae.

Archived