Top Shelf Aquatics

Coraline algea - light

jrcummins84

Can Coraline algae grow and produce spores in a low lit refugium or a place with almost no light or would having it under bright light be better?

Can Coraline algae grow and produce spores in a low lit refugium or a place with almost no light or would having it under bright light be better?

It will like bright light better, but that's not to say it won't grow in low light. How low are we talking here?

I have some coraline that was growing in a buddies tank and wanted to seed my dry rock the sheets we got his corlaine to grow on are just plastic and i would prefer not to put those in the show space of the tank... which is lit by HO LEDs, as most of the coraline I had on a few pieces of live rock whitened up when I put them under it... so I wanted to put the sheets in the refugium in the back... which is slightly lit by the tanks ambient lighting and the lighting in the room.

I think most of what you find in aquariums will grow well in lower light - especially in the blue spectrum. My other tank which has nothing in it other than coralline, chaeto and pods until I clean it up and sell it only gets actinic lighting for a few hours during the day, and the coralline is growing like crazy.

Archived