Pod Your Reef

10 Gallon - 3 Month Update

DSparks

Thought I'd post a few update pics for everyone to see.

This first one is just a pic of the full tank. As you can see I'm taking my time adding corals. I only have GSP, Xenia, and a couple mushrooms.

Xenia Closeup . . .

Anyone know what that protrusion is off of the stalk of the xenia? Some kind of mouth or orifice?

Good news is this guy is pulsing like crazy :)

And my two shrooms. The one on the bottom might be damaged. I had a time getting these guys to super glue to anything. I have such high water flow that they may have a hard time.

TheEvilbbug

try pinning them down witha small glass rod, or actualy stabing them thru the disk with a plastic tooth pick (NOT WOOD) they will attach in 3 days or so. Anothe method is to rubber band them to a smallish piece of rock, that also works.,,,, i was thinkig about pinning some to the glass in the back, that would be cool!

the best way to attach mushrooms to a rock without damaging the shroom itself is to get a small 3"x3" piece of nylon mesh and wrapping it over the mushroom and the rock u want to attach it to. then simply ruberband the mesh to the rock.

TheEvilbbug

then stab it! they tend to clone quicker when you stab them often. I give my decorator crab blunt trauma every time i'm poking around in there, no cloning from him yet. but everything he is beating up is spliting and growing like mad.

What do you stab it with and where on the shroom? You just, stab it in the middle? That sounds so terrible- but if it helps them reproduce that's actually pretty cool!

TheEvilbbug

NO no no no..... in the outer disk, away from the base, i used a sacaple and slit one along the top on one side, from neer the mouth to the edge of the cap. it split the rest of the way in a weeks time. i want to do it to my ricordias but i'm too afraid.

Interesting. I think I'll try a little glue again to a smaller piec of rock. If that doesn't work then I'm stabbing the little boogers!

TheEvilbbug

glue imobilizes it's foot, and will hamper its reproduction, i have an old glued shroom, it looks like 5 shrooms all stuck together. it can't split because it can't move. so..... do you want mutant shrooms? or happy shrooms?

Cool! Mutant Shrooms! Just call me Dr. Shroomenstein.

Doesn't look like I need to glue him after all. He's almost doubled in size and is holding himself onto the rock now.

I glued my shroom last weekend and he is now free. He is in a low flow area and is in a spot I would not mind him attaching. Not to highjack a thread but how long does attaching usually take?

TheEvilbbug

no such thing as hijackers anymore, your a "mobile terrorist"

err, umm, one of mine spent 2 months floating around, finaly i put a rock on it. it grabed hold and found anice spot in a crack to hide its base. that only took ,,,,, 4 hours. took longer with my ridordias, but it really has to do with how the shroom feels, if you pin it, it will want to grab hold and get out of there, otherwise, it will just do it's own thing. but if you glue it, you damge tissue and keep the shroom from being able to move, and reproduce properly.

take a clear plastic cup, put some rubble in it, and place it on the bottom wiht the shroom in it. it will attach normally within a week. It's that simple

They can attach in like two or three days as long as they are in low flow. I just hang them in the tank in a drilled out lees specimen container with some rubble.

ReeferMonkey

Monkeys are always a bonus...

Dwayne, have you posted any pics of your DIY LEDs? I'm going to put the goodies in my hood once they get here in the next few days and I'd like to go ahead and install an LED set. I saw that you had yours mounted on a piece of acrylic and angled up at the ceiling of the hood (IIRC). Any pics, comments, or hindsight involving your design decisions would be appreciated.

n.

Hey Reefer,

I'll try to post some more pics this evening if I can. Basically I just bent and drilled an acrylic piece to hold the LED's. We wired 4 of them to a 12V transformer, and installed them into the acrylic holder using model airplane fuel line. Overall I've very happy with my setup. 4 LED's over a 10 gallon might be a bit much though, but I'm OK with it for now. If I could change one thing about the moonlight it would be to make the acrylic holder a little smaller and then angle it a bit more.

I like the idea about using a cup and rubble to get a shroom to attach.

Archived