SaltCritters.com

Streetsong's pico-de-guy-o

streetsong

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that really turned out fantastic!

Thanks! I love when you have an idea that turns out as great in reality as it was in your head.

Since parameters have been stable over the past 5 days, and my ato is keeping my salinity at a consistent 1.025, I added a few frags yesterday:

A 'few' frags huh... Your tank looks like it's been growing forever - ALREADY!

I love this whole setup - especially how well it meshes with the surrounding room. I mean, I love my tanks, but they still feel like 'extra stuff' that's sitting in my living room rather than part of the overall decor.

How do you like having the tank drilled? Is it quiet?

A 'few' frags huh... Your tank looks like it's been growing forever - ALREADY!

I love this whole setup - especially how well it meshes with the surrounding room. I mean, I love my tanks, but they still feel like 'extra stuff' that's sitting in my living room rather than part of the overall decor.

How do you like having the tank drilled? Is it quiet?

Thanks for your kind words, pb. One of the reasons why I purchased the lamp/stand from target is because it fit the look of the room nicely. My wife and I live in a funky house that was actually the first grocery store in Denver back in 1891. The wall in the background is the original brick and the ceiling is 15' tall. I've always tried to not ruin the aesthetic with my many tanks since they all live in this one room.

I really like having the tank drilled. I built a durso standpipe (you can google it for more info) that prevents any gulping or gurgling. The only issue I'm having right now is finding an appropriate pump for my ATO. The Tom's aqualifter pump is just not powerful enough. I tried a maxijet 200, but by the time the float switch triggered the pump, I had overdosed fresh water. Once I solve this issue, life will be great!

A quick update- I am not using my ATO currently, the Tom's aqualifter is not powerful enough. Any other pump that I have tried is too powerful, overdosing RO because it is not triggered quickly enough. So, I have been topping off manually. All is good, corals are growing!

It somehow slipped my mind and I forgot to post about my new yellow clown goby named "Guy." I added him two weeks ago. I'll add new pics ASAP.

Thanks for the compliment, Jrmiller! My ATO is up and running again. I'm trying to make my Tom's aqualifter pump work with this setup. When I was first using it, it worked great for 2 weeks and then just quit. So far it is working well again but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Kat! All of my live-rock, corals came from my established tanks and I didn't need to wait out a cycle. However, as the contest continues and everyone's tanks grow, I'm sure the competition will gear up! I'm already impressed with the creative ideas I've seen in everyone's tank threads.

Here are a couple new pics- Long overdue, I know! More to follow.

post-45694-1325550903_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1325550962_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Kat! All of my live-rock, corals came from my established tanks and I didn't need to wait out a cycle. However, as the contest continues and everyone's tanks grow, I'm sure the competition will gear up! I'm already impressed with the creative ideas I've seen in everyone's tank threads.

Here are a couple new pics- Long overdue, I know! More to follow.

Looks great Brandon, With a tank that looks like that me thinks I need to throw in the towel.

Rob- Don't quit this! Give it some time. Is there anything I can do to help?

Kat- Here's the pic. of Guy and a ricordea yuma close-up.

post-45694-1325611325_thumb.jpg

post-45694-1325611308_thumb.jpg

Kat- Unfortuately, yellow clown gobies will fight each other and eventually you will have just one. They are great fish but I've found that, because of their small size, they tend to get lost in larger nanos.

Fi-Thanks for your kind words. My hope is to keep this tank thriving in the long run. The good news is that chaeto is growing like crazy in my sump and I am beginning to get coraline growth on the acrylic.

I added a small eagle-eye zoa frag that I picked up earlier today for cheap at the LFS. Once it opens, I'll add pics.

There can be only one.

post-70772-1325966847_thumb.png

LOL

Street, I have also noticed coralline growing on the back glass and corners! So neat to watch everything turn purple..... Just not the front glass LOL

akima- great pic! Remember, "never cross the streams!'

I have three new additions to my pico- Green trumpet frag (4 heads), Eagle-eye Zoas and my favorite, a small frag of Sympodium. I have only seen Sympodium at an LFS here in Denver one other time. It is similar to GSP with an encrusting mat. When open, the polyps look like tiny daisy polyps, blue/green in color with an orange outline and orange center. I was looking for something a bit unusual but not terribly difficult to keep for this tank and I think that Sympodium was a good choice.

Here's a new FTS. I have more pics but I have run out of attachment space. I'll add some nice close-ups once I solve the issue.

post-45694-1326047254_thumb.jpg

Archived