Top Shelf Aquatics

still more Xenia questions

jamesj525

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could clue me in on what my Xenia is doing (please see attached pictures). It's been open and pulsing since I added it two weeks ago. But it started bubbling out like you see in the photos. What research I've done suggests that it's either happy and growing, or stressed out and trying to move away. If anyone can distinguish between the two for me I'd sure appreciate it! Water parameters are good (0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate - pH 8.6 - Temp @ 79-80). I started dosing Lugol's when I added it on advise from the LFS (and here).

Thanks!

AReeferIsExpensive

if its anything like mine, in about a week you will see a couple little arms starting to sprout out of it.

g/l!

ZOBBIEBEANO

Do you do anything special to your Xenia like a brand of food or just regular water changes? Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have about 3 stalks in my JBJ cube and want to keep them healthy and growing.

James,

Keep an eye on that weed unless you want it taking over your tank because IMO it is the SW weed. Looks like it is growing good.

Zobbie,

I just do my reg water changes. I do not add chemicals and they do not need special feeding.

Yeah, I'm a little nervous. It is cool looking though - much more interesting than crab grass... I'm thinking about putting some small chips of rock around it so I can pull it out as it spreads. Once it attaches to another rock, can you get it off?

If the tiniest piece is left on the rock, it will grow back. I took mine and placed it against the glass and it took over one side. It is easier to get off the glass though and give away.

Archived