Top Shelf Aquatics

Hm

fortheloveofcrabs

fortheloveofcrabs

Is a 150 watt 10kK and 2 X 28 watt actinic pc's overkill on a 5.5 gal nano? I want to be able to have LPS and clams... and a chiller (sob sob sob)...

speakeraddict

It would make a really nice pot of seafood chowder! With 5.5 gallons of it you could can it and have some next winter too!

Seriously, that would be enough lite for a 20 to 29 to grow SPS. 70 watter is overkill IMHO though a lot of folks have done it. The problem is, until manufacturers learn how many of us nano lovers there are out there, we won't have an abundance of lower wattage bulbs to choose from.

I heard a rumor from and ex-ushio employee who now works for an electronics supplier that when he left the sales force they were thinking about putting out a line of high kelvin 50 and 39 watt bulbs this year. supposedly for jewelry store lighting. Haven't seen them though.

speakeraddict

Undertheradar

Agreed, 70watts is all I NEED to grow purple tip and pink acro in a 10gallon. The quality of light is just that good. I do add in a 36watt actinic to bring out the colors more. 150watts could just end up geing a heat issue...not that I am against it. Currently there are just a few bulbs made for the 70wattDE lovers...

Aqualine Buschke 5000K

AB 10,000K (really a 13,000K)

AB 20,000K

Ushio 10,000K

Ushio 6500K

TUNZE 15,000K (my personal favorite)

For 150s, there are all these available...and then some...

Geisemann makes a nice crisp blue 13,000K of note. If you want to light the tank with one bulb and no actinic, go for the 150wattDE. You will prolly go with a 13,000-20,000K bulb which is less intense than a 10,000K or lower, so the extra wattage could be useful. This would eliminate the need for actinics, and permit you to just use a pendant...allowing for better cooling...

So I say...sounds good, just get a higher K bulb and use a pendant....heat should not be an issue then and the color will be great! And on further analysis, you will find that the price range for a 150 vs a 70watter (plus whatever else you need) may push you in the direction of the 150 anyways. Now, a 5.5 is small...the smallest I have seen a 150 over is a 7bow (glazer's)....so I gotta ask...would you consider just getting a larger tank, like a 10gallon?

fortheloveofcrabs

No, I would not get a larger tank. It is on a desk, and 5.5 sits just nice. As well, a pendant is not an option, you see, I cannot hand anything over the tank, so it has to go into a hood... This is why I have to get a chiller... Besides, Being the 'first' to do it, would be cool. Thanks for the input though!

Reefer_Buddha

150w + those actinics on a 5.5 is not a wise idea. Ya youll have a cool little chiller but have fun with evap. Not to mention you cant just have it on top of the tank you need it above the water. There's a reason for that and when something splashes on a halide bulb well...youll find out. Look into something less powerful like a 70w DE. 150w is too much on a tank that small.

Agreed on everything that has been said.

I have a 70w over my 10 gal, and I grow purple tip acro and montipora just fine. The down side is that I evap about 40oz a day. I can't imagine having to deal with the evap in a 5.5 gal.

those mini probe chillers most likely will not be able to combat the heat from your mh bulbs. a standard chiller would hold more water that what is in your tank, and be a heck of a racket. plus the chiller will put out its own heat source, its a heat exchanger or radiator. stand in front of your car when the egine is running, or put your hand behind your fridge. it will be hot. run pc lamps. with a 5 gallon tank those should work. I'm running 130 watts over my 10 gal, i'll definately be having softies in there.

Archived