Pod Your Reef

The Routemaster - slow build ...

castiel

How is it that I can't just walk into an LFS and walk out with water, which is the only reason I go there.

Anyway, couldn't pass this up - Porcelain Crab Petrolisthes galathinus

Not my pic

galaEP_jpg.jpg

My pic

IMG_20121104_181148.jpg

In other news, I am now 95% sure that my blenny is a bicolour! His tail is gradually turning yellow/orange and looking through pics it's almost definitely him. Changes colour like a ##### though, so still that 5% doubt haha.

• Like 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added some more acans, some blastos and more zoas ... getting to the point where I can leave it be and enjoy the growth. Still to come, but I might leave it another month, are some SPS frags on the tops of both rocks, a clam and a scoly (which I may well pick up as and when I see a nice one decently priced).

Everything seems to be doing really well so far. Planning to start the dosing pump soon, get the levels stable before the SPS and clam are introduced.

• 4 weeks later...

My crab is MIA ... assume he is a goner given it is such a small tank and he was a bit of a beast. Not happy as I really liked it.

I finally got my hands on a maxi mini though! Quite rare in Australia for some reason, so it's not the brightest but it is currently in an awesome positioning to view.

Also got some button scolys, a wilsoni, more acans and some today got my first piece of acro.

IMG_20121206_194431.jpg

IMG_20121202_222002.jpg

IMG_20121202_221729.jpg

You'd be suprised. Mine is ginormous and still eludes detection. Check under crevices. They like to lie flat underneath them.

Take is awesomeness from the top down. Those are some sick acans. :D

Yeah I still hold out hope for the crab ... and thanks! I do love acans ... got a bit addicted but I think I am done for now.

Liz you are a good omen!! Heading to bed last night and what do I see but the missing crab, hanging out where he did originally!! :D

Now just need him to find his way over to the other rock where the maxi mini is ...

• 1 month later...

Glad you found the crabby! Also nice score on the mini nem.

Sheesh, I gotta get over there and start some frag farms. One for each coast.

Looking good man! You seem to have lucked out with all the sweet acans! And where the hell did you find a maxi mini???

Thanks! Maxi Mini from Reef Secrets up in QLD ... They had another flouro green one recently too. Mine is a bit dull coloured, but hey, still cool.

Glad you found the crabby! Also nice score on the mini nem.

Sheesh, I gotta get over there and start some frag farms. One for each coast.

Yeah so the crab ... found his moult the other day so took it out of the tank, only for it to move, at which point I realised it wasn't a moult but the crab itself. Figured out that it finally ventured to the other rock in the tank, where the pistol lives ... so I think he came off second best. Put it back in the tank but it was a goner ... pretty sad.

So I thought it was time for a big update on the tank given it is almost at the point I am happy to let it grow out for a while with minimal additions. There is definitely room for a clam at some point this year, and maybe a scoly ... but otherwise I don't think I will add much. Unless I tackle the palys, particularly the green implosion are taking over a bit ...

Starting with an FTS (should have removed the frag racks really, oh well)

DSC01816.JPG

DSC01858.JPG

Top down

DSC01848.JPG

DSC01851.JPG

Fish

Bicolour (not the best shot, doesn't show his bright yellow tail, but oh well)

DSC01678.JPG

Assessor

DSC01839.JPG

DSC01837.JPG

Coral goby

DSC01841.JPG

Acans

DSC01812%2520%25282%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25286%2529.JPG

DSC01812%2520%25281%2529.JPG

(only a small section, this is the large piece)

DSC01809%2520%252810%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25289%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25288%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25287%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25285%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25284%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25283%2529.JPG

(the damaged looking area is a large tube where I assume a worm used to live sticking out, the acan receded around it)

DSC01809%2520%25282%2529.JPG

DSC01809%2520%25281%2529.JPG

New rainbow frag, starting to heal up and still with awesome colour

DSC01829.JPG

DSC01826.JPG

The $10 monti, polyps starting to showing and some colour coming back

DSC01825.JPG

One of the two frags I took

DSC01847.JPG

Red chalice's eyes are turning more yellow

DSC01809%2520%252811%2529.JPG

The staghorns ... amazing deep blue and purple colours (Jessy fyi - from acro al ;) )

The WA Beauty Stag

DSC01804.JPG

DSC01804%2520%25281%2529.JPG

The WA Infamous Stag

DSC01806.JPG

And I think another Infamous (this was a freebie thrown in with the order and not labelled)

DSC01824.JPG

Need to start monitoring my levels more closely now, really don't want those colours to fade.

• Like 1

haa thats so funny before even reading your post under the bus picture i said to myself ( hey that would be a fre@king sweet tank )

I am so jealous of your Acans. Awesome pics by the way!!!!.

Acro Al is a dead set legend in my books, some nice frags you've got there. When did you get them? last time I looked you could only get combo packs, is that what you got?.

My ALK is at a very similar level but I'm a total noob when it comes to dosing how are you going to tackle it?.

Yeah you need to buy 10 frags from al for airport delivery, got them with a few other guys from the reefuge forums, one of them picked them up from the airport yesterday morning, we collected yesterday lunchtime, mounted them yesterday afternoon, and the pics are about an hour later! So they still have time to brown out, but fingers crossed.

I think now he does door to door delivery there is no minimum, so being local you might be able to get a few?

I'm manually dosing alk to raise it, along with a few other bits. Tried again to get my dosing pump working tonight and failed - I think the tubing got clogged up having sat for a month, particularly the alk went all solid and milky. So I am going to order some new air tubing and then try it again, just in the sink this time. I'll just manually dose until then.

haa thats so funny before even reading your post under the bus picture i said to myself ( hey that would be a fre@king sweet tank )

Haha thanks. Didn't quite turn out as I intended with the display fuge, so not double decker at all really ... but it turned out okay I think =0)

Pete. Tank looks GREAT! Looks like your Radion is doing a super job lighting it. What settings are you using? I'm just using all blues except for a 2 hour period during the day when it's all blues + white.

Love the acans and scoly buttons. Guess you can get that stuff in AUS cheaper than here. Never even heard of mini-scolys! Keep up the good work!

Pete. Tank looks GREAT! Looks like your Radion is doing a super job lighting it. What settings are you using? I'm just using all blues except for a 2 hour period during the day when it's all blues + white.

Love the acans and scoly buttons. Guess you can get that stuff in AUS cheaper than here. Never even heard of mini-scolys! Keep up the good work!

I use the full spectrum of colours ... starting with blues and reds, boosting up the blues and whites to close to 100% for 3hrs, then ramping down to mostly blues. 10hr lighting period plus an hour each side of ramp up and down.

Yep acan colonies are much cheaper here than the US I guess, usual price for a nice 2-3inch piece is $40-50, up to $100 for a rainbow piece.

WOw, this tank really does look like an ada. What brand is it? Definitely looks better than Mr. Aqua for sure.

Tank is actually a chinese no-brand! Yi Ding I think it was. But uses low iron glass, and quite similar to an ADA or Mr Aqua I think.

• Like 1

Wow amazing tank - and good to see another Victorian on here! How do you find the stand for stability? I have one of those stands in the garage and it holds heaps of weight but it starts to twist easily as it gets loaded up.

I have to ask which LFS you use as those prices and corals are great, but I do agree most things in this hobby are overpriced here in AU.

Archived