SaltCritters.com

Algae control in new Nano-cube

PaulP

My Nanocube has completed its cycle and in the process, grew a pretty good batch of algae. Some looks like green grass, some looks like green fuzz, some looks like long green strands(real long, 2"+), some looks like little red fuzzballs.

Last Friday evening, I got to add my first critters, four Astraea snails. They are going at but so much algae, so few snails.

My questions:

Is there a site to identify different types of algae? I am only guessing at names for it from the posts I've read.

What would you recommend as the next thing to add to get the algae under control. I've read hermits, sally lightfoot, other snails?

I have also read about scrubbing the algae but hate to pull the rock out and go at it. Some posts say to clip it but it is pretty difficult to get into a nanocube and clip algae.

I do have slightly elevated phosphates. the LFS says they are within reason of newly cycled tank and probably the results of the cycle. I read in a search about a "phosphate sponge" Is this suggested?

Looking for any advice before my entire tank turns green.

Details:

12lb sand

8lb live rock

56w lights (add-on kit) running for 8 hrs

protein skimmer running in third chamber

minijet 606 running at full bore for circulation

intake slotted above oval port to skim surface water

1 sponge filter in first chamber

bag of ceramic rings and charcoal in second chamber

one fan added to cover

four Astraea snails (so far, sure would like more critters to watch) :*(

Paul P

ReeferMonkey

I would recommend a mix of snails. In my minibow7 I have 2 blue leg hermits, an algae hermit, four nerite (margarita) snails, five nassarius snails, two astraea (star) snails, several stomatella snails (hitchikers) and a lettuce nudibranch.

Don't worry about scrubbing the algae out. Beef up your clean-up crew some (more snails than hermits, IMO) and be patient. A 12g is pretty small for a Sally Lightfoot or Fighting Conch. Get a nice mix of snails... if you can find a local reefer with stomatellas get some of those. Mine are really active and spawn in the tank, neat stuff. The nudibranch knocked out the algae mighty fast after he was added but now I'm a little worried that he may go hungry. The nassarius are also pretty busy (they're detrivores IIRC). Try for a mix of cleaners, it will help you out in the long run.

I only answered one of your Qs, hopefully someone more knowledgable will get the others. HTH.

Algae blooms are normal in young tanks. Don'y worry, you'll be dealing with algae for the next year or so...unfortunately. Anyway, the first thing to do is to limit the nutrients entering the system. This algae bloom occured because during the cycle lots of nitrates are released, feeding the algae. Nutrients can also be added in the water. Are you using R/O water or tap? If you're using tap, that will definitely give you algae problems. Tap water usually contains phosphates and silica, both of which fuel algae. You mention you added lights to the hood. I am assuming these were lights intended for aquarium use. If you get the wrong wavelength bulbs you can cause algae blooms. I wouldn't recommend a sally lightfoot in a nanocube, if you're looking for a crab try an emerald. But as reefer monkey said, a good mix of snails would be best. Different species feed on different types of algae, are active at different times, can fit into different spaces, etc, so variety will give you the most efficient cleaning crew possible. You can get a phosphate sponge if you want, but i wouldn't until phosphate becomes a recurring problem. I would just do a water change with R/O water to get the levels down at this point. In a healthy tank phosphate shouldnt be a problem. If it is, it's coming from your top off water, from the food, or from bad carbon. For now I think patience is the name of the game. If your cycle is complete, add a variety of snails. Do a weekly water change to make sure nutrient levels are down. Make sure you only use R/O water. It should straighten itself out in time, and as I said, algae blooms are very normal in young tanks, so don't be discouraged. Here's a link to more info on algae http://www.garf.org/

Go to the Algae Central folder on the left, and click on reef janitors. This will give you an idea of what type of algae you have. They also suggest types of clean up critters to deal with the specific algae, but these also happen to be the ones they sell, so don't assume those are the only types of snails and hermits you can use.

Archived