Top Shelf Aquatics

Tips on accelerated coral growth

B16A2NR

I've been propagating Xenia and Zoos in my 12 gallon for close to a year now and have supported all my livestock and hardgoods off of the funds from them. I started a rubbermaid propagation tank strictly for zoos, and indo xenia using 4 65k curly bulbs over it. I have had sucess dosing iodine, kalk, and phyto and keeping my parameters stable but is there anything I can do to really accelerate coral growth manipulating photoperiod, or temp? I think of this because fish along with parasites have a faster metabolism under hotter temperatures, so would a slightly higher temp such as 83-84 F along with increased dosing accelerate coral growth? I was also thinking since corals and coralmorphs feed off the zoxanthelle algae they harvest that inceasing the photoperiod say 14hrs. would allow them to havest more. Would this be true? I am only looking for feedback from people who have experimented with or witnessed accelerated growth, or have some sort of resoning or evidence to back up their opinions and statements.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...&cat=504&page=1

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...&cat=500&page=1

You get much higher in the temp and you will bleach your corals. While the increased temp may help kill off parasites, it isn't necessarily a good thing on your corals, either. You might be best served by the increased photoperiod. I keep my lights on for about 14 hours per day...you have to remember that in the tropics, the lights stay on longer and don't fluctuate the way it does in temperate zones...more direct sunlight.

From my experience, frequent water changes, high calcium and alk, and rock-steady water parameters and a stable environment promote the fastest growth.

Lose the 65k curly cues 1st off. ;)

Then try using coral excell, phyto plankton, zoo planton , micro vert, B-ionic, ect, ect,. There realy isnt a sience for growth rate unlike every one claims there is. The reasone is the vast difference in water [arameters lighting, and everything under thesun from one tank to another. You will just have to doa tial and error period of testing. I would just keep up on your water changes and keep your temp and salinety as stable as possible. ( Try to upgrade your lighting to 10 or 12k and you will see a noticable difference in growth and color.

To expand on what Saltydawg said: Get as many different corals as you can and find out by experimentation what grows fastest in your particular tank. Sell the ones that just sit there.

Too much of an increased photoperiod may not help, you will run into a saturation point , where the zooanthelle has reached it's maximum energy production potential. Otherwise, Coral farmes would leave their lights on 24/7.

Another thing you may wanna try to do is find out what your zoanthids preffered "food" is... Some Zoo's actually eat, you can attempt to feed them with a slurry of food, I use cyclop-eeze and target feed my eaters. Your light lovers will need more light, which brings me to my next point. GET SOME MORE LIGHT MAN, if you are serious about growing these animals, the 260W of curly cue light is a nightlight compared to the sun. You will see the best results by upgrading your lights. Sounds like a simple 2 tube VHO or PC setup will work fine. Trust me, Your stuff aint gonna grow fast without more light. The spectrum and intensity put off by these upgrades systems is far superior for coral growth. Use those curlies over a fuge.

Your Xenia will more immediatley benefit more from a marine snow or dissolved organic compound ( as that is their "diet" ) addition than the phytoplankton. Careful though, skimmer foam production goes through the roof with marine snow....

• 1 month later...
ReefinReefer
Originally posted by birdman204

Too much of an increased photoperiod may not help, you will run into a saturation point , where the zooanthelle has reached it's maximum energy production potential.

May I ask at particular PAR and length of time is needed to reach the saturation point of "zooanthelle" in corals?

???

birdman204

This is an undetermined answer, otherwise , the info would be spewed forth regularly. ;)

I would first and foremost watch the actions of your animals. If using PC's or VHO's, people use from 9 - 14 hour photoperiods. With MH's people use between a 6 - 10 hour photoperiod. I run my halides for 8 hours on both tanks.

The saturation has to do with energy production and zooxznthelle reproduction in the animal. The animal can only consume so much. In the nutrient poor reefs, they have a close relationship regarding nutrient exchange from the process of photosynthesis.

DitchPlains

I believe it is also important to note if it hasn't been said already, that the light period does not extend past 12hrs at the equator, which is where most tropical reefs are located, so raising the photoperiod won't do anything but burn your lights out just that much faster. Get some MH look to get about 10-20 watts per gallon if yourserious about propagation. Ok take care n good luck.:nerd:

Archived