Pod Your Reef

57 Gallon Rimless Build

endy0430

After 4 years of having my 29 BioCube I decided to go bigger (again). I was in my LFS the other day and saw a Deep Blue Edge 57 gallon rimless tank and couldn't resist.

I have had a few tanks before the biocube a 90 mixed reef and a 65 mixed reef. Both tanks did ok but I was never really happy with then so I sold both tanks and was out of the hobby for a few years till the biocube came into the scene and I wanted to try it. I really liked the biocube but I was always modifying it but there is only so much you can do to it. It got to a point where I wanted to add a sump and LED lights, it just didn't make sense $$$$$ for a biocube so it was time.

I have a few items from the biocube I will be using in the 57. I have an MP10 a JBJ 1/10 chiller and my Reef Keeper Elite.

The tank and stand will be ready to be pick up on Monday. I didn't get the stand that comes with tank, is a nice stand but is really unpractical due to having a wood right in middle when you open the doors. I had one made out of pine and I will be painting it black.

I will be placing an order on Friday for the skimmer a SWC Xtreme 120. Also an Eshopps 30" x 12" x 16" Reef sump. For the return pump planning on the Eheim 1260.

As far as lighting for right now I have a 150w mh (2) 96 watt pc fixture I will be using till AI comes out with the Phoenix then I will replace the MH fixture with LEDS.

I will post pics as soon as I start getting stuff in....Thanks

Nice. I have the same exact one. Love it. The only downside was the ugly plastic overflow. I wanted to replace it with a custom acrylic one but got lazy now regret it. Maybe later.

As for the MP10, the glass of the Deep Blue will be too thick. Upgrade to an MP40.

Can't wait to see pics

actually I was concerned about the MP10 not working on the tank but I have found several people using them on the same tank with no problems so I'm planning on adding a second.

Well the tank is in when by today but the stand is not ready. Monday is still the day from what I was told at the store.

I was reading alot of reviews on the SWC 120 and most were not good. If anybody can shine on this if you own one LMK how you feel about the skimmer.

I decided on a Reef Octopus NWB 110 unless someone changes my mind about the SWC.

I placed an order today from Marine Depot for new bulbs for the fixture and the return pump and heater.

I ordered:

1- Phoenix 150 Watt 14000K Metal Halide Bulb

2- 96W Dual 420nm/460nm Blue Power Compact Bulb

For the return pump I ordered a Eheim 1260 and the heater a Eheim Jager TruTemp 150 Watt.

Should arrive next week on Thursday. I also will be adding a 9 watt Turbo Twist UV I had from one of my old tanks and looking into the Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor.

After the tank has cycle planning also on adding a calcium reactor. I want to make the tank mostly SPS.

All I'm missing is the sump and plumbing parts. After I pick up the tank and stand on Monday I will place order for sump and let the building begin.

Thank you sir can't wait to see it working... :D

Just picked up my 57 rimless yesterday, upgrading from a 40 gallon. Can't wait.

Keep me post on how it goes.

Just picked up my 57 rimless yesterday, upgrading from a 40 gallon. Can't wait.

Keep me post on how it goes.

I got a call today from fish store and tank and stand will be ready to pick up on Wednesday. Guy who was supposed to build stand was sick over the weekend. It was supposed to ready today. All well 2 more days.

Well today I when to pick up my tank and stand and when I get there I see my tank but no stand. The stand builder is apparently sick so I'm gonna have to wait a few more days or maybe till next week for the stand. Oh well here are some picks of the tank....

005-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

That's my light fixture on top of my tank..

Well today I when to pick up my tank and stand and when I get there I see my tank but no stand. The stand builder is apparently sick so I'm gonna have to wait a few more days or maybe till next week for the stand. Oh well here are some picks of the tank....

005-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

That's my light fixture on top of my tank..

That stinks...I hope to get my all setup this weekend.

That stinks...I hope to get my all setup this weekend.

Yeah I know I wanted to set it up this weekend to... :unsure:

Good Luck with your build and post pics.

Well finally pick up the stand and sump. I will be painting it this week with black matte paint that I pick up at Home Depot.

001-7.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

looking good....the overflow from the skimmer area to the fuge seems a bit tall to me. that chamber will be filled with a lot of water.

looking good....the overflow from the skimmer area to the fuge seems a bit tall to me. that chamber will be filled with a lot of water.

I don't believe it will be a problem since is a manufactured sump..

not saying there will be a problem, just simply pointing it out. I wouldnt have designed it like that. splashes from the drain would fly everywhere. gotta be careful moving stuff around that compartment or you're gonna have a lot of spills.

not saying there will be a problem, just simply pointing it out. I wouldnt have designed it like that. splashes from the drain would fly everywhere. gotta be careful moving stuff around that compartment or you're gonna have a lot of spills.

Yep I see what your saying, hopefully it wont be a problem if it is I ll take it back and get something different. My LFS has one set up and I din't see the water level that high on that chamber I think the slip it has half way up water flows thru there ... Will see once I run it...

Getting a new stand done not happy with the one I have nothing fits. The new stand will be a bit longer and wider than the tank but at least I will have room to fit my stuff inside. Updates to come stand maker told me it will be about a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the new stand is here and it s really great. Now I have room for what ever I want to add. Will be painting it over the weekend and during the week I'm gonna be doing the mock up plumbing. Let me know what you guys think of the stand.....

018-1.jpg

The doors come out completely so when I have to work down there I have room 017-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

Archived