Top Shelf Aquatics

new aquaruim help

sydbarrett

hi, im triin to start a nano and this is my current plans on wat to get. (looking for sugestions tip, things im missing , and am i overstocking? do i have room for more fish?)

equipment:

25 gallon eclips setup (comes with heater&filter)

redsea prizm skimmer

powerhead

red sea salt mix

pacific live rock (looking for sugestions)

live sand

criters:

pair of percula clowns

anenomie host (dont no wat type lookin for sugestions)

1 royal gamma

1-2 fire fish

1 yellow tang or xmass wrassp, or some other cool fish (lookin for suggestion)

1 coral banded shrimp

1 cleaner shrimp

1 blue leg hermit crab

coral need alot of help choosing

hey ithink this is a good start i come to u guy for sugestions and advice thank you

fishtankbabe

You have way too many fish planned.

Yellow tangs get too big for a 25 gal, they need at least 75 gal. Not sure on the xmas wrasse, but I know some wrasse species can get quite large.

I'd go with the pair of clowns, and either the royal gramma or the firefish. A pair of firefish would probably be ok too.

You can't keep a coral banded shrimp with any other kind of shrimp. It will eat them. Choose either the CBS, or the cleaner.

You will need a clean up crew, several types of snails like nassarius, cerith, astrea etc. About one snail per gallon.

You will need to get rid of the bio wheel or whatever the Eclipse filter comes with. It will end up causing you more problems than it's worth. You can just use the filter for water movement and get another powerhead inside the tank. You want about 10 times the tank volume moved per hour (in your case this means total circulation of 250 gallons per hour.)

What kind of lighting are you planning? This will determine what corals you can keep. Lighting is the most crucial factor in a reef tank, and will probably account for about a third of the total cost of your set-up. Keep in mind that anemonies need very bright, intense lighting, are considered hard to keep, and can move around your tank stinging other corals and even eating other fish.

Shoot, I'm at work and I have to go, but hopefully this is enough to get you started. :)

You might also want to consider a stronger skimmer than the Prizm. I suggest the AquaC Remora, or the Red Sea Berlin HOT skimmer.

reefmaniac thanx for the advice, its only a 25gallon though

fishtankbabe. thanks alot for the advice,

after usesing ur advice i think i will tak out the cleaner shrimp, add afew sails and take out the hole yelow tang and xmass wrassp setup

Archived