ReefCleaners.org

RCSD in Concrete Live Rock

gt3073b

This might sound crazy but I was wondering if it would be possible to cast a PVC RCSD chamber and the associated plumbing into a big chunk of diy cement live rock. The reason I ask is because you either have to plumb the RCSD through the tank walls or build a chamber into one end of the tank. I figured if it was cast into the rock, the weight of the rock would offset the buoyancy forces of the chamber.

I am looking to convert my 55 fresh tank into a reef (I know, not a nano. I love my 10 though and want more of it!) and I am considering building one big live rock structure to drop into the tank. I figure that you can easily fit 70 lbs of regular live rock into a 55 gal. If I cast a concrete structure that weighed that much, I could make a 5.5 gal surge chamber to get the 1:10 surge/tank ratio and the bouyancy force of the air would only be 48 lbs. This should stop it from floating up when it is full of air.

Does this sound reasonable? Since I live in an apartment, it isn't too practical to start working with concrete and end up with several "practice attempts" lying around.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan.

Archived