Top Shelf Aquatics

The "ideal" hang on the back refugium

aldive

In your opinion, what would be the ideal set up for a CPR hang on the back refugium? Lights, substrate, rock, macro algae, etc?

Thanks.....

theclearblue

Well first of all I'd probably paint the side wall facing the tank black (the light leakage is killing me! I've yet to find a good way to make my tank a little darker at night) Graci and Chaeto, 3-4" of live sand, and as much live rock as you can stuff in there. As far as lights... the jalli seems to be most popular, I'm using a clip on light with a 23w 6,500k.

27W LOA light from HD, 1/2" aragonite, 2lbs of LR rubble, chaeto and red gracillia. I have my heater, ATO switch, and ATO return there as well

I too would paint the back panel before installing it. I used a lot of duct tape to block the light from entering....looks fine!

I think if I had mine to do over, I'd take out the live rock, put in less and, and pack even more macro in there. The chaeto takes up too much room to put in any other kind.

I made a shield out of black cardboard that I covered with packing tape to block the light on mine. It sits between the fuge and tank, and is tall enough to be above the light. It blocks a ton of light.

Does everyone's fuge get really "skummy?" Mine has slimy green in the intakes and exit sides. Not worried though, there is NONE of that in the tank, so I guess the fuge is doing it's job.

There's definitely some "funk" growing in the fuge. Like yourself, I don't worry about it, cuz it appears to be containted in the fuge. I have tons of coralline growing in mine!

Reefer_Buddha

funny you mention that. My fuge developed a leak the other day from the pvc pipe so i took the fuge off and put in new gaskets. While it was out the pipes that were coated with coralline and nasties from the fuge were just out in the cold and everything died off. So when i put the fuge back on it looks like brand new pipes.

Archived