Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

worth keeping?

clowe18

i have a wad of cheato in my tank the size of two large fists.

my question is.. is it worth keeping? its just chilling in my DT behind some rocks. i dont see any improvement in my tank. its a 20L with 3 fish softies lps and monti caps and shrimps

thanks guys

my question is.. is it worth keeping? its just chilling in my DT behind some rocks. i dont see any improvement in my tank. its a 20L with 3 fish softies lps and monti caps and shrimps

thanks guys

If its growing its taking nitrates and phosphates out of the water, it wouldn't help leaving it in. Try to reduce feedings if possible, discard water used to defrost frozen food before feeding and minimize natural light entering the tank.

Additionally you wont see results with any of these things for several weeks, if one of them alone is enough to cause an effect.

-Grad

thanks guys

Probably not the best situation for the Chaetomorpha to really grow well. Do you have a sump or a means to put together a refugium? A good growth of macroalgae can make a noticeable impact on nitrate and phosphate concentrations, depending upon the initial levels, algal growth rate (which is relative to light, water motion, etc.).

thanks guys but im just going to toss it. i havent seen any noticable results in the last month or two when i added it. it just messes up my tanks flow and causes crap to settle. thanks though guys

It really works best when it has a good source of light and a good amount of flow. If you have a spot in your DT where it could get those things without floating all over the place, I would try it.

Archived