inTank Media Baskets

Help With DIY MH

Chyendra

We just wired up my 70watt MH last night and this moring when I went to try It out for the first time.... It didn't work! this is what it does.

The bulb flashes on and off every half a second, about 10 times, and then just stops. Doesn't light up or anything. The bulb isn't burnt out, because after it did it the first time, i unpluged it, pluged it back in and it did the exact same thing.

It's a 70wat 10,000K ushio bulb in a worklight fixture, with an aromat ballast.

does anybody know whats up with this?

Hmmmm. Well, the flashing is the ballast pulsing, to fire the bulb. Try jiggling the bulb around to make sure it is properly seated... although I doubt that is what it is, if it has good enough contact to light up while it's pulsing.

The only other thing I would suggest would be to try a different bulb, if you know someone who has a proven one. This would be the best way to determine where your problem lies.

Definately make sure it's seated correctly in those end caps. I ran into that same problem. If that doesn't do it, look for weak wire connections. Good luck.

-Justin

Thanks! I just wiggled the bulb, plugged it in and it lit right up! I feel like I overreacted a little bit. But you know, when you pay 50bucks for a bulb you don't want to have to be replaceing it anytime soon. When should it be replaced BTW?

at first it wasn't at all bright, And i'm thinking, "What is all the metal halide hype about. These things aren't that bright." But as i watched it slowerly got brighter and brighter. It IS bright! *laughs*

Thanks again!

Ahhhhh!!!! SHE SEES THE LIGHT!!!:) AWESOME, huh!!? gotta love how it fadeeeeess on gettin brighter and brighter...like the sunrising:)

WELCOME TO THE MH CLUB!

i was gonna say, check to see if the bulb is seated properly... make sure the little dimples are in good contact in the sockets. you got it tho, good job! :) if your good, the bulb is supposed to last a year...what is your photoperiod times each day?? start off low...and not too much... mine's run about 6 hours total...the rest of my 9 hour photoperiod is actinic... dusk/dawn:P

Originally posted by Chyendra

We just wired up my 70watt MH last night and this moring when I went to try It out for the first time.... It didn't work! this is what it does.

The bulb flashes on and off every half a second, about 10 times, and then just stops. Doesn't light up or anything. The bulb isn't burnt out, because after it did it the first time, i unpluged it, pluged it back in and it did the exact same thing.

It's a 70wat 10,000K ushio bulb in a worklight fixture, with an aromat ballast.

does anybody know whats up with this?

I gotta hand it to ya! I never considered taking the back of the Regent pendant off to make a shorter hood...

Good job!

Mike

I gotta hand it to ya! I never considered taking the back of the Regent pendant off to make a shorter hood...

Makes it a whole lot lighter too. BTW I've been running two computer fans, and my tanks stays really cool! I've actually had to turn the heater up so that the temp wasn't falling below 78. I'll probably turn it up a bit more when I get corals.

Archived