Cultivated Reef

Clown names with descriptions

Justin MD

I keep seeing a bunch of names for clownfish but I'm a little confused. Can someone fill me in on some of these fish and what they are? Meaning are they Occelerous (sp?) or Percula? And what makes them qualify for a name?

S'More

Black Ice

Snowflake

Platinum

Picasso Perc?

BW, Occ?

Onxy- Perc?

Misbar

Thanks!

I'm interested in a young pair of percs(they stay the smallest, right?) but I'm un-sure which are percs and what the markings are called.

FishEyeAquaculture

S'More - A. ocellaris var. (product of FishEye Services, same fish as Black Ice)

Black Ice - A. ocellaris var. (product of ORA, Proaquatix, and Sustainable Aquatics same fish as S'more)

Snowflake - A. ocellaris var.

Platinum - A. percula var.

Picasso Perc? - A. percula var.

BW, Occ? - A. ocellaris var.

Onxy- Perc? - A. percula var.

Misbar - Any fish with broken barring

They're basically just ocellaris or percula clownfish with unique coloration. The names typically come from the company that is breeding them, so many can look similar but have different names. They typically sell for quite a bit more than a regular ocellaris or perc as well due to unique colors and rarity.

Your gonna come across different names for clowns, it will help with linage of clowns, for instance lets take the black occellaris and snowflake combo.. Theres black ice from ora ,s'Mores are from fisheyeservices, I got my own line but I call them super snows and im sure theres more out there..basically the same fish with different names thats all...now quality im sure is different..

Archived