Pod Your Reef

Good corals for the beginner

Chelsey

What are some good beginner corals? I have a 55 gallon tank that has two frags of star polyps and two mushroom frags, and they're hardy, but what else would be a good for a nano tank that I'm planning? Also, I was thinking about switching out the lighting in the nano-cube (JBJ) and putting in a 10000k/actinic light. Is this a good idea?

I have never tried those. Are they easy? I like mushrooms and star polyps. I think I will try some xenias. Can you provide any pics of yours?

Xenia species can be tricky...they definitely don't ship well. Anthelia species are decent (looks similar to Xenia, but don't pulse). Leathers and colt corals are good for beginners. Most LPS corals like Hammers, Frogspawns, Torch corals (stay away from Goniopora and Alveoporas) are OK. Mushrooms and zoanthids (button polyps, etc) are sturdy, too.

pulsing xenia

green star polyps

mushrooms

toadstoal leather

fiji yellow leather

florida ricordia

zoanthids

just to name a few...all would be good to start out.

as for a clean up crew i'd start small...few snails, few hermits if you want and add as needed...no sense in dumping 30 snails and 20 hermits only to have most of them starve to death...

HTH

divemasterdave

Chelsey,

I saw you had a question about lighting. I think the actinic is a good addition to your tank, but PC lights 50/50 would be better. I also think mushrooms, ricordea, Xenia's, zoo's, colt coral, toadstool leather, finger leather, star polyps, sun polyps(zoanthids),yellow leather, and if you keep the water parameters steady some lps are easy too, like galaxia. Hope you have fun and post some pics too.

so ur all sayin frogspawn, torch and hammer are okay with the stock lighting in nano cube?. cause I'm thinkin of pickin some up this weekend at a frag swap in southern cali

Archived