Top Shelf Aquatics

UNIDENTIFIED CAULERPA SPECIES

RESONANCE

Hi folks, I need the help of experts like John Maloney to help me ID this caulerpa.

Story: I had transferred my razor caulerpa to one of my smaller tanks since it started taking over my 40B. After the transfer, it got kind of just faded away, out competed by other macros in the smaller tank. This past weekend someone in Canada contacted me saying they wanted some razor caulpera from me. So, I went digging in the small tank moving things around searching for even small pieces of the razor caulpera. Finally in the back of the tank, I found what I thought was razor caulerpa. It had a similar look and similar growth pattern.

I took pictures of it, preparing it to be shipped out. Then I realized... looking at the pictures I took the "teeth" on the caulpera I found did not resemble the "teeth" of the old razor caulpera I had. In fact, it looks more like a "feather" type caulpera teeth but with a growth pattern of razor caulpera. :huh::blink:

See the pictures and comparison below. Does anyone know what the real scientific name for this is?

My old razor caulpera: Notice the "saw" like teeth of this caulerpa.

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

NEW UNIDENTIFIED CAULPERA: The growth pattern is similar to the razor caulpera above, but notice that the "teeth" resemble that of fern type caulperas.

unid%2520caulp1.JPG

unid%2520caulp2.JPG

Anyone know what this caulpera is called? Thanks in advanced!

Haha... yeah already did right after I entered the opening post to this thread. I think if he knew, John would have chimmed in by now. So I just assumed he doesn't know either. This isn't an emergency by any means, just more of intense curiosity. :P

Sometimes there are sciency types who read these forums who might know where I can submit these pictures - that's what I'm hoping for now.

your pm box was full. :) I was thinking a variation of caulerpa serrulata, there are a lot of them. I can check out the book for you sometime this weekend, but it is in storage now.

... uhg. yeah... again. need to get in the habit of deleting as soon as I read a message. But keep thinking, that I may "need to reference that pm later...".

Don't go into your storage for 1 stooopid question man! LOL. Seriously not important at all. I went through algae base - and you're right there's over 11 types of C. serrulata listed. Unfortunately not all of them have pictures and/or illustrations to reference.

Just leave it at that until someone who knows comes comes along. :)

Archived