Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ nano Retrofit Help

xcajx

Hi, this is my first post and so far I have learned much. I have my 1st SW tank set up for 2 days now waiting for the LR to cycle etc.

I have noted many comments about retrofitting the hood as the lighting may not be up to par.

I have searched and searched for info on how to do the retrofit and cannot find anything useful.

Could you point me in the right direction.

I want to swap the 24W standard out of there and put in the bestlighting i can withought having to bend the reflector or do anything crazy.

Makes sense?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I love it so far, just bought mine today. It should be in next week. I'm interested in a retro too, most threads I've read recommend it, But I'm just as clueless as you on how to go about it.

Good Luck!

I will let you know as I just ordered the 32 csl retrokit. I will document what I did with pics for you...I am new to this as well so we may as well learn together.

i had to use marinedepot.com b/c they ###### to canada, if yer in the states use the drsmith? one. Hunt around here the site is names several times. I paid 50 there's is 40.

it cost me $23 ea for coralife 28w pc's (1 03 and 1 10k), and $17 for the electronic ballast at home depot (which it will run a total of 5 bulbs when wired correctly). i originally put 3 bulbs in, but the heat was too high and too hard to control. i found a real simple and cheap solution for that too...go to a target store or wal mart and buy a 6" clamp fan and run it on low or high depending on the temp you wish to keep the tank...you just clamp it about 2' away and that's all...if you click on the next link, you will find more pictures and info on what i did as well as what the tank has looked like. it is definately the way i like it most now...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/search.php...searchid=342085

There are lots of easy ways to add lights. That retrofit kit you got should fit right in there next to the original. Hwarang has the same thing on his, so you might want to ask him any specific ?'s. To control heat you can get a 60mm computer fan. It fits right into either of the two vents in the hood.

ive added two of the CSL 32 watt retro's to mine but i just did the second one last night so i havent had a chance to see it considering im at sch

ive added two of the 32 watt retros due to the fact that my orginal ballast ble. so eh why go for orginal when u can get something better right??

thanks xcajx...i actually never intended to do what i have done, it just kind of happened...the funny thing is...it is my first krack at a reef!! i can give you any info i have on wht i have done or do, and would be glad to help...i am building a whole new hood for another one now...it will use the original hood, splash guard, and reflector, but i am going sick with the lighting...i am making them light all the way to the front (on the door part that opens), and it will have moonlite leds installed and ready to go!!! i am just not sure if i will part with it, or use it on mine...after that, it is time to focus on my 50gal that is going reef!! ran out of room in my nano and all corals are growing/splitting, so i need a place to put them..

Did my retrofit today. it wasn't too terribly difficult and the light difference is pretty awesome. I put the csl in the front position and the stock 24 in the rear. Next is my DIY moonlight strip.

you don't need a moonlite strip...that tank is so small you only need to use 1-2 leds at the most. i use 1 varad hyper blue led (auto application pre-installed resistor and you get them on ebay cheap) pointing it toward the reflector in my hood, and power it with my nokia cell phone charger...works really well and is not so bright that it is like running an actinic all the time...

just be careful, the guys that own my lfs let me in on a potential problem with that much lighting for the "moon" effect...it caused their 340gal reef to have all corals spawning at once and everything started getting ugly quick..not sure what is valid with that or not but for what it is worth...that is what i have heard. i personally like my single led setup only because it casts a nice glow and shimmer without being too overpowering. i have the uv cold cathodes in my tower which is next to my nano on my desk, and i never noticed anything...that is interesting. how is the cube going for you?

just got my blank nano hood today and am going to mold it in fiberglass and customize the crap out of it!! i will have a hood like no other out there!! lighting and all. i plan to touch on an area that i have yet to see touched on in any forum, other than the guys who craft wooden ones...but i want mine to look original. fans, lights, everything!! will be stealth. pix will be posted when done...

Archived