ReefCleaners.org

How do you clean acrylic?

lizbeth

I picked up a used 2 gallon Sea Clear hex at a thrift store. It has some very minor water deposits and some dried on masking tape sticky. Should I use vinegar on the water deposits? I've always use oil to desolve tape sticky, will this hurt the acrylic?

very carefully!

don't use any oil based products or solvents. that's a general suggestion though. some products are good but why risk it? use hot water to soak the tape and rub it off with your hands (careful hot water!)

the 'lime-off' that's sold online is good but you have to let it sit for a minute or so. the vinegar is ok i use it on rios but i don't use it for the tanks themselves.

Originally posted by MKramer

Replace it with glass. :)

yeah but...... it's really cute and it was only 2 bucks. I think I might put one of my bettas in it.....or I could set it up as a nano.

Thanks tinyreef, I'll try the hot water before I go to more harsh measures.

Originally posted by mxpro32

DONT USE ALCOHOL!! alcohol cracks acrylic.

CRACK KILLS, Alcohol just loosens women up........:P

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

CRACK KILLS, Alcohol just loosens women up........:P

D*mn I thought he was talking about rubbing alcohol!

It loosens up men too......So I shouldn't use the single malt on the tank?

I use an old drivers license to scrape mine sometimes. It doesn't scratch and it does a pretty good job. However, If the stuff has been dried on there for a while, you might try soaking it for a while.

Liz, U come over with some single malt, and Ill Fill yer reef Properly !............. ut oh.. Grey area.....:P

(fill it with ummmmm corals yeah..yeah......that it )X)

Archived