ReefCleaners.org

Tank Cycled?

snostorm

My tank has been cycling for a week so I purchased a fasttest kit at LFS. MY params are

nitrate=0

nitrite=0

ammonia=0

PH-8.2

temp 79f

Is this possble? The guy LFS said the rock I bought would cycle the tank quick because it had been curing for a while. But this seems too fast. I was wondering if its done or if it hasnt really cycled yet. I used the kits according to instructions that were pretty straight forward. I would really love to get a perc but I want to be sure its stable. Any input would br greatly appreciated

Specs

16gAGA bow front

pengiun 170 with biowheel

seaclone 100 PS

rio 800 PH

ebo 100w heater

Mutton Mogul

you may want to add a cleaning crew, wait a week, and then re-test.

if everything shows up clean, i'd say you can start stocking.

i say by adding the cleaning crew, you are just making sure that everything is fine, and they will help 'prep' the tank for other inhabitants.

my .02

good luck!

alrighty then but I have another question as far as a clean up crew. At the LFS I was told not to put any snails in until I upgrade to PC lighting9have 10000k 15w NO right now. Do they need this light or will they need the algae that this light will produce? Maybe just start with some blue leg hermits and maybe a crab?

I would give it two or three more weeks before adding to the tank. Then take some water to the LFS and ask them to test it for you. After getting your results, wait another week, test the water yourself, do a water change even if the test are ok, then go buy the clean up crew. Then one week later, start slowly stocking. I know it sounds like a long time but it will pay off for you in the long run. Instant gratification is not good in this hobby, it will lead to disappointment and disaster.

Originally posted by TroyT

I would give it two or three more weeks before adding to the tank. Then take some water to the LFS and ask them to test it for you. After getting your results, wait another week, test the water yourself, do a water change even if the test are ok, then go buy the clean up crew. Then one week later, start slowly stocking. I know it sounds like a long time but it will pay off for you in the long run. Instant gratification is not good in this hobby, it will lead to disappointment and disaster.

True True True. It could also lead you to doing other things too quickly because you could last time. My 10 gallon had rock in it for 2 months before I added anything.

Archived