SaltCritters.com

What size growout tank for clownfish?

Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Hi everyone!

What size tank do you prefer for growout of percula and ocellaris clownfish? Why?

I was thinking two 20gtalls instead of one 40g. When they would get bigger and need more space I would just separate them into two 20gtalls from one 20gtall.

I was reading and it seems the big operations use 40g or something big like 300g open system. Anyone making it work at 20gtall and what is your density of clowns/gal?

Thank you,

Kris

I'll be using 20 - 29 gallon tanks here soon and just watching how many I put in each tank.

If I had the space I wouldn't even fart around with glass tanks and I'd be using large black plastic tubs.

Alpha Aquaculture
I'll be using 20 - 29 gallon tanks here soon and just watching how many I put in each tank.

If I had the space I wouldn't even fart around with glass tanks and I'd be using large black plastic tubs.

Why do you want to use large black plastic tubs? I'm trying to get a feel for your though process in this matter :)

Thank you for your time.

BRT are easy to clean and cheap. plus dont have to worry about the glass breaking and stuff.

some people also use the larger 50, 75 or larger tubs.

i am using a 20l tank now for me for my onyx babies.

BRT are easy to clean and cheap. plus dont have to worry about the glass breaking and stuff.

some people also use the larger 50, 75 or larger tubs.

i am using a 20l tank now for me for my onyx babies.

^ this

I'm redesigning my brood stock tanks and will be redoing my grow out next - I'm still deciding on the tank size for the grow out but it will be at least 20's (hopefully larger) plumed in to a large sump.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are planning on using a 40 gallon breeder for our grow tank, but we also have awhile before our snowflake clowns are ready to breed. We are just now in the planning stages of things and should be buying some of the equipment this weekend! :happy:

Alpha Aquaculture

Nice! Thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to go with 20g's but we also have a bunch of 100g+ tanks around here. They are just too expensive to buy so I went smaller. I like the idea of cheap plastic tubs but I don't like the idea of plastic or of not being able to inspect the fish regularly or easily. I'll be plumbing all my tanks to my 800g/240g combo so 1070g's of filtration when you count the 30g in the skimmer ;) I'll be putting 1000lbs of live rock in the 800g also.

Any other ideas or input?

Archived