Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DIY with 6,500k Home Depot lights.

pos_user

I had some time tonight during work so I figured I would make a ghetto rigged light for my 20H planted FW. Here it is.

It is a regular standard OEM hood that came with the tank, crappy 15 watt bulb and ballast. I ripped all of that out, and whats left was the black plastic hood. Lined the inside with aluminum foil, which will soon be replaced with aluminum reflectors when I have a chance...and I bought 2 19w 6,500 daylight CF bulbs from homedepot for 7 bucks each and receptacle for 2 bucks each.

Here is the setup and how it looks after I gutted and replaced, keep in mind...A. I have some electrical experience. B. I'm not an idiot. C. I know that I rushed it and will be fixing it later on when I have time.

I know you guys dont care :) but i wanted to prove to myself and others that I am not a dunce and that i can hook up 2 friggen bulbs and watch them light up...lol. Its not nuclear physics...this is much harder. jk.

Here are some pics if you guys care.

diylightsoff.jpg

This is with lights on - - bright!

diylightson2.jpg

another one with lights on

diylightson.jpg

this one below with just tank light, pitch black room, no flash on camera, came out crappy, but you can see the white in the light looks pretty good.

tankon.jpg

and finally, a pic with normal lighting, and lights on tank. Very crisp lighting. Please dont be confused and say that it looks yellow, i have yellow sand, crushed rock as substrate which gives it a tint from above on the camera. You do not notice this in real live.

Hope you all enjoyed it, ignore me or curse at me if you want. Thats completely fine :)

tankon2.jpg

Originally posted by pos_user

yes, just show me the way...and im all over it :)

How many more ways to upgrade to a 70w MH do you need?

There's at least 3 that I know of since I started coming here!

Mike

My $0.02, spend the $100 from the 96W PC on MH parts. In the end, it will be well spent money, and you and your reef will be happier. The light you just built is an excellent 'fuge light. I have two just like it, except I used beer can reflectors.

ha, nice...yeah, im gonna order the 96w quad tomorrow morning.

I'm not in the mood or have the experience for a DIY MH.

and besides, im not going to be putting anything to demanding in the tank. Moderate or low level livestock will be there...nothing too crazy.

Archived