Pod Your Reef

need opinions on a good skimmer

SWAG

building my sump next week and planning on getting a good skimmer

tank will be 20 long and display and 20 long as sump with fuge.

i was wondering which skimmer would be good,because i want to upgrade to a 40 breeder later on.

i either want a swc skimmer or reef octopus.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-o...mp-skimmer.html

or

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.p...products_id=148

or please just suggest another good name brand skimmer

I would go with the reefoctopus they are great and durable, I think tis overkill for what you have now but should be great when you upgrade to the forty. my friend has this on his 75 and it pulls some nice thick skimmate. Make sure you check the dimensions I think in needs to sit in a good height of water to work properlly from what I remember. Also I think it's one of the best in the market for that price.

I have nothing against SWC, have heard they are great also, but I only have had experience with the octo

Will these skimmers be overkill for a 20 gallon with 20 gal sump until I upgrade or no?

Because I want one for the 20 that I can use without having to upgrade later on

I don't think that reef octupus will fit in a 20 gallon sump.

If I were you I would go with a SWC 120. It would honestly work well for your 20 and your 40.

Yeah il probably go with it then.

Do they work good?

I really want to buy something that will do what it's supposed to do.

Also,will this work the same?

It's like $30 cheaper

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-o...mp-skimmer.html

I just set the 4" RO in a 20gallon long sump w. 40br display, after 1.5 days pulling out dark skimmate. Good skimmer and easy setup. I would recommend it.

All the skimmers in this thread would work pretty effectively on both your tanks but if you can afford that SWC 120, I would go with that. Most of these skimmers are way more than what you need for a 20g (which is often what you want), but for the 40g breeder I think the SWC 120 could handle anything your throw at it (while having a decent price).

Well was looking around at skimmers for sale on forums and found a swc 120 that was used to 2 months and guy was upgrading.waiting until he pms me back his info,he wants $150 for it.

I'm going for this deal !

Yeah,the guy didn't follow through with his price:/

With his shipping cost I could have gotten close to a new one.

I'm

Still debating on te octopus 110 or the swc 120

Last questions,how easy isn't to clean the reef octo?and does the whole thing come apart like the swc 120 does?

Which would you say has more quality?

And last question...which one do you think would honestly do better in 60g of water?

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been debating on which skimmer to get for my setup. in my research I have found more people that prefer the RO than almost any other brand. I myself will probably end up getting one of their smaller HOB units and hang it on my sump (BH-100 to be exact) Now, thats not saying that the other skimmers that have been mentioned are crap. I certainly don't know for sure, I've only been researching which ones to get.

Running the reef octo nwb 110 ( 4 inch model) in my ten gallon sump. It definately fits. The skimmer itself was easy to clean and it pulls out a great amount of skimmate. I run it pretty wet and the skim is a nice dark color. It's skimming a 20 gallon display which is way overkill, but its running like a champ regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got the eshoppes one i have read a lot of good reviews about it.. so im giving it a try.. have not hooked it up yet.. only a few more weeks

Archived