Cultivated Reef

Ecosystem 40 Hang-on pump upgrade?

kennerd

Ecosystem 40 Hang-on pump upgrade?

Anyone have specific experience with changing/upgrading the pump in this system? It's a pretty tight fit in there, and I'd like to :

1) replace the rio 600

2) try for a little more flow

Any suggestions on a replacement pump that will work in the tight space? Perhaps (don't flame me!) a LARGER rio ? The 800 only adds 11 gph: how much of a difference would this make?

the filter runs slow for a reason.... Contact time. In order for it to work properly, the water has to circulate at a preset speed, or else it will flow right past the mud sump area and no effect is gained... I asked Bob about this exact scenario at Ecosystem a few months ago.

Just let it run he said.... so I did. Sorry to bust yer bubble:(

the 800's a high pressure pump though.

i'm not familiar with adey's ecosystems so i can't comment other than that. check the scale from rio, would the greater head capacity help you? ???

ah, i just saw dave's post. X)

I have two of them set up, one on my 10, the other on my 12. Ther is just an aweful oil slick on the surface of both units.

The 12 is running the Miracle Mud & is running fine, except for the oil slick.

The 10 is running with live Sand, but has cyano in the fuge. I've even pulled all of the macro, scraped the gunk as directed, but the cyano comes back with fresh macro. BTW: NO cyano in the tank. Figured increased flow might make a difference.

Someone on Reef Central posted that they have used CAP pumps as replacements. I'll get his feedback & let you know.

Cyano is common in these tanks. It will burn itself out eventualy. Also you can use ancient Chineese Ghetto technique to get rid of oil slick.... paper towel. lay it over the surface of the water fer like 10 seconds, it will asorb it. Newspaper works EXTREMELY well too, but some critics say the inks are bad...... Ive used it fer 4 + years with no ill effects.

By chance U have a lot of soft corals?

the 12 is 95% softies or LPS, the 10 is 80% SPS.

No sliming problems at all in the 10, which has the cyano. It's come & gone with changes in lighting & filtration. The paper towel trick is already int he arsenal, but figured I'd try the flow change for kicks.

Archived