Coral Vue Hydros

question about pc lighting

snostorm

I have seen pics of nanos with no top with the light hood over them. Is this a bad idea? I was wondering if ther were problems with stuff getting in the tank(have cats) hair and dust and such. How much heat do PC lights give off, I was wondering if I could just put a hood over the top I have now(which is made of plastic)

Probably won't have a problem with cat hair getting into the tank as long as the cat isn't attached to to it :~).. The biggest problem with no hood i know is evaporation.. I have cats and never had a problem...

I'm not sure why you would be putting a hood over your plastic top. Isn't the plastic top a hood???

ok let me try to explain, I bough a 16g aga bow front tank that came with a plastic hood and a standard 15w light fixture that sits in the top. there is a plastic window for the light to shine into the tank. I was wondering if i could replace this with a pc fixture but I wasnt sure if it would generate more heat then the standard 15w NO and cause any problems.

The best route is the make an all glass top for the 16 gallon bow front, the you can set you pc ficture on there. The window on the hood that comes with the tank is no wide enough for a good pc ficture.

If it's a screw in fixtue you could just replace it with a 20 watt Coralife screw in PC . I don't see that heat would be a problem.. i have a 20 watt in my stock light strip on my 2 1/2 gal...or you can go with insipid's idea and change everything...Depends what you want to keep in the tank!!! Fish only...reef tank or what...

here are my specs

16g AGA

10lbs live rock(cured)

argonite reef sand

penguin 170 HOB

rio 800 PH

seaclone 100 skimmer

ebo 100w heater

For now this will be a FOWLR system with the intention of intro -ducing some corals in the future. Im thinking that 20w wont be enough, I was looking at a 96w PC strip

Reefer_Buddha

20w on a 16g is not enough at all, especially if you plan to do corals in the future. The 96 is more logical to go with.

Archived