ReefCleaners.org

new Via aqua 10 gal

exlfsemployee

exlfsemployee

I am new to the forum and new to the hobby. this is my first attempt at salt water. I have 5 FW tanks, mainly africans. Here is my set up.

-via aqua 10 gal.

-crappy stock 13 w lights

-7 lbs of LR so far.

-6 lbs of live sand

-1 lemon damsel

-4 red legs

-2 astrea snails

-I have the stock filter system and a penguin 125 hob.

-201 power head

does this sound ok?

can anyone point me in the right direction as far as lighting goes, I would like to stay away from DIY projects as I am in a dorm room and dont really have the materials nor space available to me to do any DIYs?

thanks in advance

ps: the tank was set up valentines day.

I have the 6g Via Aqua and a 18g Via Aqua. Tonight I just moved everything to the 18. Ok, since the 10 is the same as the 6g with a little more water volume here is what I found. To upgrade the lights you will need to DIY. Hellolights has some really nice DIY that fit the hood. You need a few more punds of LR, have at least a 2" depth of LS.

http://www.hellolights.com/14nanretkit.html

That is the link for the light kit that fit mine. Make sure you measure yours before ordering :)

Have fun they are nice little tanks.

exlfsemployee

Troy, I was wondering if I could use JBJ desktop PC lights, or coralife mini compact? I believe that the Coralife light is 2 X 9w and I am not exactly sure what the wattage is on the JBJ desktop PC. I would really like to stay away from the DIY as I said early but it does look as though that is all I will have availble to me. Thanks for the reply

If you can find a fixture that will fit on the tank without any DIY then I would purchase it, if that is what you want.

Oh if it is one thing I have learned with these Via Aquas, a 12" HOB refugium fits perfectly on these. If I was starting over on the 6g I have I would buy one of those and use it as my filter/algea scrubber.

Have fun and enjoy the tank, I just tore down the 6g last night since everything went to a 18g Via Aqua on Friday.

exlfsemployee

thank you for the reply, I think that the JBJ desktop light would work well, seeing that it is 12"L that would cover the tank perfectly, and still allow me to have the filtration that is currently installed. once again thank you for the replies. this forum has been more than helpful through the entire process of setting up this tank.

EX-lfs employee

Archived