Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Are RO Filters Propreitary?

Asterix

Whats up?! I just got a "free" RO - Unit : ) :)

Its kind of old-school "Coleman Only water 525" Its about 8 Years old but has been in its box since it was bought....Unfortunatly it did not come with a Carbon filter or a sediment filer...However, The membrane is still there..... I called Coleman and they said that some company bought that technology from them a while back and they dont carry filter cartridges for it anymore...I tried calling this new company and they seem pretty lame, So I was wondering if I could just go up to home depot and buy just any Sediment or Carbon filter and stick it in, from the looks of it, it seems that most RO-Units use the same size, however, I am just assuming this and wanted to check to see if any of you had any insight towards the matter...I could order from the new company, But I would rather not Mail order the stuff if I could pick it up @ my local wal-mart or home-depot...Further, Do the membrames on RO-units ever need to be replaced? Since I still have mine, I would rather not have to buy a new one since they cost ~$100.00!!! Well, Anyway...I hope this works out because there is nothing better than a Free-Ro unit! Even if it says only 13GPD!!!!! ??? : ??? ???

RO membranes are good for about 2 years. The best way to monitor it's health is with a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids). I would expect a number <10ppm. Dow Chemical makes the TFC membrane typically used in our RO systems. I forgot the name of the other RO membrane, but it's not as good (there's only 2 kinds). The housings fittings and hoses are pretty much standard stuff--the RO makers buy all these components and just put them together.

Feel free to add whatever stages you want. A sediment filter and carbon block filter will increase the life of the membrane. A DI stage might be nice too.

Ty

Thank you for your reply!

So you are essentially saying that Yes, I could buy any Sediment or carbon filter and insert them into my RO unit?

-David-

Archived