ReefCleaners.org

my fish are moving my DSB

Guest samson

Guest samson

I came home last night and noticed that my sand bed had been moved out of one corner of my tank.

I have about 2' of DSB and either my Blue Damsel or my Cardinal decided to remove all but about 1/2' of sand from one corner and pile it up about 2-3" inches away.

Anyone ever experience this? i wacthed tem both all night and the kept going to that corner, but not removing anymore sand....

I pushed some of the sand back into the corner and it was still there this morning.

Is it my fish, were they looking for food? Could it be soemthing else?

It is in a location were a known "rock" crab hides in some LR. could they be fighting?

spoondigity

I know my friend's damsel does this. It is a blue fin (or something like that) damsel. He has watched it clear the sand out of a corner. Doesn't seem to do any harm as long as it doesn't dig out the live rock and make it unstable.

Guest samson

that's what i figured, but like you said, as long as it doesn't mess up the live rock.

hey, maybe that's a way to get rid of the little bugger....he could cause his own demise in an avalanche! With my luck he'd be the only survivor.

When I setup the tank, I put the rock in first and then the sand around it, so it should be sturdy enough. I just don't want him throwing of the system too much by moving the DSB.

My yellow tailed damsel is a digger. Newman can move sand, small rocks and hermit crabs quite well. He has a large den under a rock that he keeps cleared of all intruders.

Guest samson

okay, well now I am not so concerned. Sounds like a damsel thing.

Funny thing is that this guy hasn't done anything like this for the past 4 months. All of a sudden it's like he's got miners to rescue or something.

Archived