Coral Vue Hydros

Cheato dying off / not growing

wolfador

I have a modded AC70 that I am trying to use to grow some chaeto. I have a Rio Mini Sun as a light. My LFS sold it to me saying it would be fine for chaeto. http://www.marinedepot.com/Taam_Rio_Mini_S...-TA6133-vi.html

The first batch I had the light above and ran it opposite may main lights about 8pm to 10am. It turned white after week and broke into small pieces, I removed it and added some more, also moved the light from above the fuge to the back side to shine on more of the chaeto and ran it 24/7.

Doesn't seem to have helped as I am down to about a golfball sized piece instead of the fist full that I placed in. Is the light not enough? too much light?

I am also running purigen and ChemiPure elite. Should I remove the purigen?

my guess would be not enough light. I would just take a desk lamp and blast it with a regular bulb for a while and see what happens. Would still do reverse of your main lights tho.

I know I used a 84 led light bulb at around almost 600 lumen and it grew like mad. That's between 40 and 60 watt incandescent approx. Yeah so maybe just try a desk lamp and see what happens.

When I moved all of my macros out of my other tank, my chaeto (which never grew for me) suddenly exploded in growth. My presumption is that it now has access to nutrients that it was simply being out competed for previously.

When I moved all of my macros out of my other tank, my chaeto (which never grew for me) suddenly exploded in growth. My presumption is that it now has access to nutrients that it was simply being out competed for previously.

That makes a lot of sense because obviously the water just after the filtration section is the cleanest... Maybe chamber 1 is a better spot for it? I'll give that a try.

• 2 weeks later...
my guess would be not enough light. I would just take a desk lamp and blast it with a regular bulb for a while and see what happens. Would still do reverse of your main lights tho.

I know I used a 84 led light bulb at around almost 600 lumen and it grew like mad. That's between 40 and 60 watt incandescent approx. Yeah so maybe just try a desk lamp and see what happens.

did this and it is no longer dying off and slowly growing.

however the spillover from the light is pretty bright and lights up the tank.

Any ideas on what light I should use? pretty much open to anything.

i would check if you have enough nutrients to feed your macroalgae... especially production of nitrates... how is your bio load?

i use JBJ magnetic lights 24/7 and it seems to be helping out with it's growth... i used an acrylic picture frame to attach it to and place it on top of my HOB refugium.

post-69535-1318521702_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i would check if you have enough nutrients to feed your macroalgae... especially production of nitrates... how is your bio load?

i use JBJ magnetic lights 24/7 and it seems to be helping out with it's growth... i used an acrylic picture frame to attach it to and place it on top of my HOB refugium.

uploaded an update with the same set up with a noticeable difference. the macro became thicker that light can't pass through. 0 nitrates ppm and looking good.

post-69535-1319675278_thumb.jpg

Looks good. I wish I could grow some chaeto in the second chamber. I keep getting this grassy algae that grows on the chaeto so it can't get enough light. When I took the algae out I had less nitrates....

SouthFlorida_Tron

i run the jbj nano glo for my fuge of chaeto and after a week or so its a damn brick enclosed in my basket, i trim it each tme to about a golf ball.

I had an AC fuge before and always thought about building a custom fixture that only emits light downwards and possibly blacking out the outside of the fuge. See if you can get your money back for that LED lol. Only downfall to using a regular desk lamp is alot of evaporation and added heat. I use a 100w eco florescent in my sump/fuge and it does an amazing job providing light for an algae scrubber and tons of chaeto. I have a 5g bucket of chaeto with a powerhead and 100watt eco bulb it grows rediculously and I sell it or trade it for stuff lol. Higher flow will bring a higher volume of nutrients to the chaeto as well, which helps it grow thicker.

Archived