Top Shelf Aquatics

Clams and PC's?

Cbill

I'm looking at starting a nano after 4 years of running my 55 I think I want something smaller. The lights I'm looking at getting are from ahsupply.com the 2X55w PC's would it be possible to keep a clam under that kind of lighting? Or should I shop around and look for some assortment of MH?

BKtomodachi

I'e heard of the possibility of keeping deresa, squamosa, and maybe even gold maxima under high levels of pc lighting. You can contact the clams direct forum for more info as they would be the ones to talk to. You can join here, and please use that link to join as it gives me a referal credit! :) thanks!

http://www.clamsdirect.com/phpbb2/profile....gister&ruid=433

talk to barry-he's the expert over there.

I was always skeptical until I saw a thread earlier today on saltwaterfish.com. This guy has a 10g AGA with PC's, i don't remember how many watts, i think around 70 something. He had a bunch of sps and at least three clams, including maximas. They looked great, and he's had long term success. They were at the bottom of the tank too. So now I'm reconsidering and trying to figure out how many PC watts I can cram into my cube in hopes of adding a clam...

AReeferIsExpensive
Originally posted by Meloco14

I'm reconsidering and trying to figure out how many PC watts I can cram

been there, done that~

it IS possible though, so i added it to my "last thing to get" list. i feel like, if im going to push the lighting factor, i might as well make sure my water is established and the best it can get.....just to be safe

i have a squamosa and a purple/blue maxima in my 10g with a 96w powerquad ive had the maxima for about 2 1/2 months and wont consider "success" until ive kept it for over 6 months. remember many "success stories" with clams are old post where the threader hasnt fessed up to having his clam die.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=Clam

It can be done and done well.....the problem is it requires an extremely stable system (at least a year old) and religous up keep!!!!

Not for the average reefer. I have MH's and my 8 month old tank and I still believe that my system is not clam ready. Talk to Barry like BK says, don't be discouraged when he tells you "clams shouldn't be kept in nanos". But cruise the forum over there and you'll learn alot. Also Daniel Kopp's book is a must for clam keepers.

Do it right! Nothing sadder than realizing your clam just died a slow horrible death that could have been prevented.

Archived