Coral Vue Hydros

Turbinaria

ReeferMonkey

ReeferMonkey

Anyone have any good pics or advice for Turbinaria spp.? I'm intersted in putting one in my Minibow 7 under 32w PC and have done some searching on RC/RDO/NR, and there just isn't much out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that you shy away from yellow turbinaria reniformis (yellow scroll coral). It seems to favor more light than the greenish/blueish variety with larger polyps. And if you find a yellow one with large polyps, its probably dyed. Watch out for those.

I don't know about the kind with the big polyps, but the reniformis is very hardy.

ReeferMonkey

Thanks for the reply Korbin. I've done a little due dilligence research and found out about the dying of these corals. A few of my local LFS have them but they're not well taken care of - necrotic spots on their tissue, etc, plus they're usually to large for a nano and overpriced. Unless I can find a good specimen I'm just going to hold off. A shame.

ReeferMonkey

We do, our local club has a message board. Unfortunately, it seems that no one has a turbinaria in the area, or at least they don't check the group board routinely. I may ask again.

Originally posted by Korbin

I would suggest that you shy away from yellow turbinaria reniformis (yellow scroll coral).  It seems to favor more light than the greenish/blueish variety with larger polyps.   And if you find a yellow one with large polyps, its probably dyed.  Watch out for those.  

I don't know about the kind with the big polyps, but the reniformis is very hardy.

I have one that was dyed. lfs talked me into it when i was new to reefing. he is now a maroon/green/blue with large polyps. he's doing fine, glad i got him. they are extremely hungry corals imho

Archived