Cultivated Reef

Alvedopora Coral

NewSchool

Yes, I have had some in my tank for the past month. It seems to be doing well (see pic below). Borneman says it is rare, and is similar to goniopora.

It is considered to be almost as difficult to keep as Goniopora. The number of tenticles are hwo people tell them apart. 24 for the Goniopora and 12 for the Alveopora.

Almost no one has had any luck with them beyond a year, and even less success in nano's.

Dale

That's great, I just bought this from my LFS two days ago and it's the first thing that they've missled me about. DROB, where do you have it in your tank and how hard is the current? The tubes still haven't come out on mine, I can see he top of the flower but no tubage! I'm thinking about taking it back.

I have also read that they are difficult to keep. Mine took about 48 hours to come out. I have placed it in good light about 3/4 up the tank in moderate to high current. Apparently they are thought to feed on zooplankton. I have bee using cyclopseze but it is hard to tell if it is eating it or not. Right noe it loooks good, but it has only been a month. Good luck!

I had a goniopora for a short time and traded it to someone who was willing to take on the challenge. It took about 2 days for it to fully extend in my tank.

Dale

Well, I'm on my 3rd day + and I'm starting to see some extension! I'm gonna see how it goes for the next week or so and then make a decision on keeping or trading back. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one yesterday and it started coming out within an hour. It is even further out today and seems to be happy where I put it. I was told that it is alot hardier than a gonipora, so good luck with it.

Archived