Cultivated Reef

Wavemaker operation

Chamkeeper

After seeing too many $200 wavemakers (powerhead controllers), I decided to see if I could do a cheaper DIY using the powerheads most reefers already use. Here are my design issues...

First, do you run the wavemaker 24/7? If not what kind of schedule?

Second, would it be best to overlap the powerheads running, one winding down as one is accellerating? Or is one on one off, (because the current is still flowing) enough?

Third, Timing, how long do I run powerhead #1 before we switch to #2? And does this need to change through out the day? Would random be better? This would have to do with wave frequency, is that geographically dependent?

I don't know if the high dollar wavemakers do any of this, but if I am going to spend my time on this thing it is going to be as well made as possible.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

http://www.wave2k.com I like this system when I set up another 75 gall or a 125 im adding these. I use ZooMed Powersweeps. they dont always "sweep" but I think it adds to the randomness of the current. the 228s are good. around 29.00 retail.. 23.00 avg online.

Dave,

I've heard that the Powersweeps are not very reliable. Is this true of the latest offerings? How big is the smallest one? I'm looking for circulation ideas for a 5 gallon hex tank. So far I'm thinking 2 micro jet 320's mounted on the back angles aiming towards the middle of the tank. One would be closer to the surface and the other more mid tank.

Scott

Speeking Purely from having 40 + of the sweeps in my customers (and personal) tanks, I have had 1 bust a magnet, 1 snap a retainer clip (of4) and one freezeup because it was ran high and dry for 3 days.

Other than that I cant kill them.

Oh and THE SUCTION CUPS F*&^%^%^EN SUCK BIG COW FISH NADS !

They do need routine cleaning, but so do ALL powerheads. For a small hex tank though they might be a tad big, unless U like the looks of nifty equipment (I do). To each is own... the Aquarium Systems minijets are good too, but the internal intake sponges get cruddy fast.

Archived