Coral Vue Hydros

why does everyone use siphons?

bones_bones

bones_bones

Perhaps, you knowledgable folks can help me with this, because I certainly don't understand. I have a 5 gallon minibow that I would love to put a HOB refugium on. But all of the makers use siphons. That comes with so many problems for overflow such as when the power goes out....

Why doesn't anyone use a an overflow like HOB power filters do. I know I could make one out of an AC300, but I would like something larger.

Is it me that's crazy or everyone else???

Mine doesn't :) And CPR said I couldn't do it.....so :P

You need to drill a tiny siphon break in the inlet tube.......this will "minimize" the amount of water that flow back into the main tank during power failure. I run my tank about 2-3mm down from the black trim......when I simulate a power failure, the water level rises, but is totally contained in the tank.

bones_bones

I see how that can break the siphon and I've heard the idea before. But it still requires that I run my tank water level a little lower than I would like.

I don't mean to beat a drum here, but it still doesn't answer the question. With a HOB filter, the water level can be kept all of the way up and there is no risk of overflow. Is there a reason that a larger refugium couldn't be built to the same concept?

You got to pay to play I guess......3mm is cheap for the benefits of the fuge....just my two cents.

HOB are not fool proof! My AQ150 didn't restart about 1 out of 5 times I unpluged it.

There are plenty of AQ500 fuges out there. Some look well done, others have the ghetto-chic/frankenreef look. In a 5.5 the flow of an AQ500 (or even a AQ300) is way too high. Plus the surface area of the CPR is much greater.

As for "why"......I don't know, you have a good point and I thought the same thing. CPR will restart everytiime (barring a PH failure), HOB's have (IME) not always primed....

I love my fuge(see my thread a few down for pics, etc.). If the power goes out, only like 1/4 of a gallon overflows into my tank and everything starts right back up when the power's turned back on.

Archived