Top Shelf Aquatics

Thads Picotope

thadscottmoore

thadscottmoore

Our local reef club has recently purchased a PAR meter of which I have been designated the keeper of. Long story short- curiosity got the better of me- the Little Glazer Light fixture puts out some incredible light!

between tank lid and light fixture I got readings of about 2000+ PAR. Just Below the water surface I am getting 500-780 PAR. AT the sandbed- 200 to 300 PAR. Time to tune down the light fixture a bit!

thadscottmoore

Well, over the past couple weeks, I havent had much time to play with my new pico- just a quart water change every evening when I was getting off work and a feeding in the morning...

This evening, I replaced the RKL with a RKE head unit and installed an SL2 with temp probe. Ordered an ACL module and 2 PH probes and 2 more temp probes- 1 of each going to the redseamax tank.and I borrowed a friends spare temp probe to work with the RKE- so, one new temp probe for repayment to my friend. I also got in most of the ingredients to build my automatic liquid fish feeder- a project for tomorrow.

Another project I am working on researching is to change out my buckpucks for meanwells and hook up the ACL reefkeeper module to the LED light fixture and simulate dawn to noon to dusk light. Also in process of putting together an auto water change system too.

couple weekends ago, a friend and I made a trip to Houston to go do a little shopping for some zoas and odds and ends for our tanks. ended up with about 150.00 in zoas for the little tank. Big brother redseamax is babysitting most of them until I know things will work- dont want to throw 150 in there and something go wrong- slowly adding to it over time. will post pictures soon! .

this little tank has turn into a monster! hehe

Crazy par! i wish i could use one, ive got 3 led fixtures now on my tanks, i want to test them individually, the diy one with 7 leds and no optics, the ai sol nano and the eshine cree 60w 20 xp led with optics.

curious why you want to change the buckpucks to meanwells? and what are you doing for an ato? im so glad my tank came with one built in (the 8g reef octopus tank) Post some more pics when you get a chance..

EDIT....i realize now why meanwells over buckpucks. for the 10v control i assume.

• 2 weeks later...
thadscottmoore

Thank you! I love the reefkeeper elite! bought it to control both of my tank- havent set it up yet on my rsm. just havent had time to set it up yet...it keeps the tank a steady 78 degrees- controlling the chiller and heater. The LED and refugium lights are controlled as well. working on auto dimming for the LED fixture. have everything to build the auto liquid feeder which will be controlled by the RKE as well. Just waiting until I have time to complete an auto water change setup that will be controlled by the RKE too. going to buy a triple dosing pump to do the auto water change daily- equal amount in per equal amount out. third doser pump will be used at a later time for something else.

• 3 weeks later...

this tank is amazing art before you even put antyhinh in it! any updates? how much does glazer charge for the surface skimmer? how does the custom skimmer working?

thadscottmoore
this tank is amazing art before you even put antyhinh in it! any updates? how much does glazer charge for the surface skimmer? how does the custom skimmer working?

I have been so busy- really been abusing the tank with lack of attention the past few weeks...

I did a 50% water change today. Made a few more mods- getting a little closer to building my auto water change- and I now have everything to build the auto liquid feeder. just need to find the time to do it! with work, family, and all the odds and ends lately- time is something I miss having!

Skimmer is rocking right along!

IMG_20111113_120208.jpg

• 1 month later...
thadscottmoore

well, after a long while, I finally got back on my picotope project. During my busy schedule time of year, I opted to remove most of my corals and place them in the RSM until I could find time to build my auto water change setup- providing a daily double water change totaling 6 cups of water daily. Of course I knew this had to be done first before the auto liquid feeder was built and installed.

Needless to say, it took some thought in programming the RKE to do the task I was expecting it to do on a daily basis. Using only one float switch and timing the activity for the amount of liquid transfer to take place, I came up with the following program for the ATO/AWC setup.

3 Cups of water to be changed during water change period. There are 16 cups per Gallon. 2X a day (6 cups total) times 7 days = 2.625 gallons of water change per week- nearly 100% water change weekly in the picotope!

1. Use three channels on my RKE PC4

a. Ch2, programmed as a multi timer (assigned to timer 1) activating every day at 8:00pm (old water out). Siphon break device would prevent any farther amount of water from being removed than desired. Pump is assigned to be on for 6 minutes 40 seconds. And off for 11 hours and 53 minutes and 20 seconds (8am) and run for 6 minutes again for a second water change in 24 hour period.

b. Ch3, programmed as a switch, with a standard float switch controlling it. (this channel is my normal auto top off)

c. Ch4, programmed as multi-timer (assigned to timer 2) activating every day at 8:07pm (new water in) . This timer is assigned to be activated on for 6 minutes and off for 11 hours and 54 minutes (8:07am ) and run for 6 minutes (second water change period of 24hours). This offers plenty of time to refill the tank. Float switch will turn off the pump at maximum level.

d. Alarm 1 is activated by ch2 or ch4 turning on. It is assigned to Ch3. (this turns off my ATO while the old salt water drain pump is on or if the new salt water feed pump is on)

e. Alarm 2 is activated by float switch. When the float switch opens (upper limit) it turns off Ch4.

2. Pump assignments

a. Aqualifter pumps are assigned to channel 2 and channel 4 for auto water change pumps

b. Air pump is assigned to channel 3 for ATO.

Now, that I have all equipment doing what I want and when I want- time to pursue getting it all installed so that I can continue with building the auto liquid feeder like pj86 did!

• 6 months later...
thadscottmoore

well, I am in the market for a replacement pico aquarium. Long story short- I did not remove my nano glass magnet from the tank and over time- it leached- rust.... cleaned the glass not knowing, and I sat back and looked at the tank and thought- man, that thing sure is frost looking- closer examination and I saw millions of micro small scratches over the entire glass portion. took the magnet cleaner out and noticed that it was protruding through the velcro side- removal of the velcro revealed the advanced corrosion of the magnet.

thadscottmoore

1345508133.jpg

playing with rock-scape. ended up removing and breaking up my original rock and glue back together to create this. should make for a nice rock scape for new tank when I get it.

oh, and I just happened to have a 5 pound bag of black moon sand that I placed in there to just see what it would look like. I dont really care for it.

• 2 weeks later...
thadscottmoore

Well, I just took the plunge after debating between the Dymax IQ3 or the Skimz Ibox Nano to replace the Picotope. In the end, the Skimz Ibox won the debate and was ordered today. Now the wait game has begun.

I will adapt much of the parts from the picotope over to the Skimz Ibox- ATO, Auto Water Change, Auto Liquid Feeder, and Chiller, and RKE with Temp Probe controller will make way to the Skimz Ibox.

Archived