inTank Media Baskets

Help I think I did something stupid?

snostorm

I have been wanting to start a nano for about 3 months now. So I went out and bought a 16g AGA, Penguin 170, seaclone 100 skimmer(yeah I know)ebo jager 100w heater, a rio 800 power head, and a 10000k bulb for the hood that came with the tank(plan on upgrading to PC soon). Went to LFS and picked out some nice rock(cured). They told me its better to not use a substrate and to just put the rock in which I did. I see in most pics that everybody has a sand bed. I like this look i feel it looks more natural. So I bought some argonite reef sand and after removing the LR I put it in the tank and created a massive silt storm. I have been running every thing in the hopes it will settle and planned on cleaning all the equipment when it does. Is this a bad Idea? Should I do water changes to help?

Its a little unnerving, there seems to be a film on the glass, its only been 24hours though. I rinsed the sand before I put it in but I dont think I did a good job of it. will running my equipment in this environment damage it?

I'm doing the same thing you did right now, except I filled it up with sand first. Massive storm in the beginning, but added rock, have both powerheads going and have the skimmer also going fulltime...that was about 3 hours ago and it's all ready starting to clear! :) pretty sure this is normal!!!!

Now I just can't stop watching everything settle and swirl! Plus, looking for hitch hikers!!

ok thanks alot. I started seeing the puple crystaline algae and was getting very excited. I know this hobby takes patience and im reserved to that fact. These nano reefs are very cool!

Archived