Cultivated Reef

nanocube Question

nanocurious

nanocurious

I am looking at purchasing the jbj nanocube, because it seems to be a fairly decent deal for someone with a limited budget. My question is, " What kinds of corals can be kept under stock lighting without any problems?" all response will be greatly appreciated thanks.

I f this answer has already been posted, please let me know

limited budget? I've found that that doesn't really fit with this hobby! I set up my jbj about two months ago trying and the $$$$ keeps rolling out. Not that I'm not happy, I'm esctatic, it's just a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. Live rock, you need at least 10 pounds, live sand, about 8 pounds. Water testing kit, hydrometer, food for the corals, food for fish, ocean salt, RO water, I changed the pump in mine to a 606 mini-jet, the one supplied was real loud. Starting with the $99.00 nano, I'm now up to about $250.00 or more and still no livestock!

What I have so far, an assortment of mushrooms, LFS gave them to me and they are doing great. A candy cane coral, $40.00 that also is doing great and some star polyps that are doing fine also. A true percula clown, $43.00 and a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) $45.00. I know that beginners aren't supposed to get those, didn't know at the time. Good thing was the guy that sold it to me thought it was a long tentacle and I got a $45.00 discount, BTA's are much more expensive. Well after two months, everything is thriving. I'm thinking of adding some zoo's and an open brain, the lighting should be fine for this. Clams are out of the question and hard corals most probably will not succeed. No problems with that though, there are tons of threads out there showing how to upgrade the lights! Mo Money!!!!

Hope this helped and don't forget, this aint gonna be cheap and will take time!

one more thing, the nano cube is small, a lot smaller than the 12 gallons it says so if you want a healthy system with coral you can't have more than two fish, one being optimal. If you want more of a fish tank, think about just adding the live rock and no coral.

Blinkgyrl2987

Hey there

I have 2 ocellaris clowns in my Jbj nanocube and I plan on adding a bicolor blenny as my final fish.

Right now I only have mushrooms, star polyps, and ricordia in my tank.... but I plan to add other corals such as: xenia, zoos, open brain, candy cane, pagoda cup, fox coral, and possibly a colt coral. I'm pretty sure that all these corals would do fine in the cube under the lighting that it has...... that is as long as your parameters are good, you add a little extra flow (mini-jet 606 works good), and weekly water changes. HTH Megan~

BKtomodachi

you could use 1/2 lr 1/2 lace rock and let it seed... also you do not need all ls... you could just put in a few handfulls of ls to regular old playsand.

nanocurious

Thank you newschool and blinkygirl 287 for answering my post, I really appreciate it! Newschool, I am not a sw beginner, I know it can get expensive if you let it, I am going to keep it simple, so that it won't get too expensive , but I was just curious as to what does well with stock lighting, I am going to keep one when I go to back to school in the fall , so the lighting won't be upgraded for a while, I was just curious as to whether or not it was a good deal, and was looking for some feedback, Thanks again for the reply. good luck!

Archived