Coral Vue Hydros

New setup -12 gallon nano-cube

keokolo

Hello everyone, Just starting out with a new tank. 12g nano-cube. Any suggestion on what and when I could put in the tank. I just put 10 ibs of LR and 12 lbs or LS. What's next?

Reading.

You really need to read (books and postings on the net) before taking on this endeavor. Are you using RO water? Do you have test kits? How are you measuring the salinity? Was the rock cured? IS your cycle begun, on-going, over? What do you plan on putting in the tank - fish, corals or both?

Some good books for beginners are:

1. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner and Turk

2. The New Marine Aquarium... by Michaels S. Paletta

3. Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael

4. Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung

Good Luck and happy READING

first off id take the foam out of the left chamber in the back and fill it up with live rock rubble to cycle with the tank the foam is just a bug nitro trap

ReeferMonkey

He said it was a "bug nitrate trap" and he meant it was a "big nitrate trap."

Seriously, Tempest is right, you need to get some books and do some reading. Bone up a little bit by reading all the articles on starting a new tank here on NR, some on Reefs.org and some on ReefCentral.com. By the time you're done reading (or a couple of weeks), your cycle will be progressing and it MAY be time to add some clean up critters.

Seriously, do yourself a favor, educate yourself about the hobby.

DitchPlains

Tempest and ReeferMonkey are 100% right start to read, get your hands on books, forum info, newbie info, etc... If you have a NANO CUBE 12g, then here's some helpful advice you may not find there. All of the material in the supposedly wet/dry filter is really subpar at best. I would reccomend getting rid of those monster square sponges because the do act as "Big Nitrate Factories," and thats just my expeirnce with my Nano Cube. I would remove them and put live rock rubble in the first chamber, remove or leave their activated carbon/cermaic chips for a long knee sock of activated carbon (ken't s or black diamond) and opt for some purigen (its renewable) in the second chamber. This is just some friendly advice, also too DO NOT ADD FISH until you know what your Nitrite/Amonia/Nitrate levels are( I don't care what people say about damsel's, I think itss wrong to subject fish to high toxin levels.) Please buy a test kit its simple and will save you lots of heartache. Ok everything else find out from reading (as they used to say, 'RIF' "Reading is Fundamental") LOL take care and good luck....remeber young grasshopper ....Patience.:-* :rant:

Archived